Quad amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steve-N

Anyone have any luck with powering some smaller Martin Logans with Quad valve amps?

I will soon pick up a pair of Quad II Forty monoblocks for another system and I was wondering how they might match up with my ML Aeon in the short term.

Try them on the 4 ohm taps and LET US know how they sound. My first thought is that the mids will be beautiful but the top and bottom will be MIA, but I could, and have been, wrong.

They'll sound fine just on the panels, but don't try and run the woofers with them too (ie, you'll have to biamp.)

Anyone have any luck with powering some smaller Martin Logans with Quad valve amps?

I will soon pick up a pair of Quad II Forty monoblocks for another system and I was wondering how they might match up with my ML Aeon in the short term.

I heard them with 2905 Quads and did not buy the Quad speakers or the amps. Personally, I believe the downfall was the amps. Just MO.

I'm guessing that the 2-40s may not drive the bass with authority but the 909s (transistor design) are superb with MLs. I use them alternately in my Vantage system and they provide control, midrange transparency and a delicate top that even my far more expensive Mac amp doesn't quite match. These amps are physically small and the industrial design is more Euro than North American, meaning they perhaps don't get the attention they deserve. But the 909 is a reference amplifer for many reviewers (Paul Seydor of TAS) and is an inexpensive way to drive MLs. Obviously there are superior amps, but it's well worth an audition. FWIW, I don't find there to be huge differences between the 2-40 and the 909's respective sonic signatures. I use a tube pre in the 909 combo and love it. Good luck,

k

I am using original Quad II

on my panels and a Bryston 4Bpro for the woofers. I am very happy with the sound of music on my home ;) The amps are at new factory specs with some minor mods to accomodate rca and better speaker and power connections.

I just seperated my anolouge form the home theater with the installation of a Conrad Johnson PF-2 pre to say I am happy would be an understatment.

The original Quad valve amps were rated at 15 wpc (4 or 8 ohms) if I remember correctly. It would therefore be impossible to drive any ML electrostat speaker with this amp. Even biamping might prove to be somewhat lacking in power. Try it, but don't be surprised if it does not work.
BTW - see current issue of Stereophile for hints on rebuilding these amps.

The original Quad valve amps were rated at 15 wpc (4 or 8 ohms) if I remember correctly. It would therefore be impossible to drive any ML electrostat speaker with this amp. Even biamping might prove to be somewhat lacking in power. Try it, but don't be surprised if it does not work.
BTW - see current issue of Stereophile for hints on rebuilding these amps.

Note these newer Quads are 40Wpc....

Back