Prodigies, 2905s or Finals

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liffy99

Reaction score
I love my Prodigies, especially after bi-amping, but don't feel I can sit far enough away to give the bass a chance to integrate properly (I'm about 8' away).
Trouble is I love panels - I've heard the new Quads (mesmeric 3D ability and naturalness, but still limited at frequency extremes and loudness), and Finals (600i) in the past which sounded reasoanbly good, but a little lightweight (has anyone ever got them to work well with a sub ?).
What would you go for ?
My other half prefers the Finals for their ease of placement / movement. I can't afford Summits here in the UK.

I love my Prodigies, especially after bi-amping, but don't feel I can sit far enough away to give the bass a chance to integrate properly (I'm about 8' away).
Trouble is I love panels - I've heard the new Quads (mesmeric 3D ability and naturalness, but still limited at frequency extremes and loudness), and Finals (600i) in the past which sounded reasoanbly good, but a little lightweight (has anyone ever got them to work well with a sub ?).
What would you go for ?
My other half prefers the Finals for their ease of placement / movement. I can't afford Summits here in the UK.

Just remember that your on a ML forum. You will get mostly ML in your ear. I prefer the Finals. I have the 1000i's intergrated with a sub perfectly.

Not sure how the 2805 compare to the 2905, but I heard the 2805 and if you can live with its limited dynamics you're fine. However, I thought it was hyped quite a bit more than it should've been. Imaging was subpar, but it was very coherent.

The Prodigy? For that room, why not the Summit or Vantage?

I don't get this at all. Either the bass from the woofers is integrated with the panels or it is not. How can sitting closer or farther away change that? Perhaps you need to use an external crossover and dial in the time-alignment between the woofer and the panel. JonFo can give you all kinds of advice on that. Or perhaps you just need some room treatments to absorb the rear wave and smooth out the bass response.

If the Prodigies are just too big for your room, then I highly recommend the Vantages. I don't have any experience with the Quads or Finals, so I can't help you out there. But the bass on the Vantages is very good and well-integrated with the panels. They are physically a much smaller speaker than the Prodigy, so they fit better in smaller rooms.

Of course, I'd tell you to go with ML also, being a happy summit owner.

However, when I had the Finals here for review, I found I got much better bass integration with a pair of small subs. I had fantastic luck with a pair of Tannoy TS-8's placed somewhat asymmetrically in the room. You will have to experiment for best results, but it is a fairly inexpensive solution and a pair of 8's is a bit faster than the 12 that came with the Finals.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back