Problems Networking a Denon...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimna

Reaction score
i have a Denon 3808ic in my livingroom as the center of my HT. one of the big selling points for me was the networking ability of the unit via cat5. it states that it will play multiple file types, but my problem is playing flac files. it uses WMP 11 somehow to derive a library to pull files from. it does see the files but wont play them, but does play mp3's all day long. WMP 11 is playing the flacs though? i really dont know whats is wrong or even where to begin. Denon is no help and very little info is available other than it stating it does play them.

anyone else networking their Denon?

i have a Denon 3808ic in my livingroom as the center of my HT. one of the big selling points for me was the networking ability of the unit via cat5. it states that it will play multiple file types, but my problem is playing flac files. it uses WMP 11 somehow to derive a library to pull files from. it does see the files but wont play them, but does play mp3's all day long. WMP 11 is playing the flacs though? i really dont know whats is wrong or even where to begin. Denon is no help and very little info is available other than it stating it does play them.

anyone else networking their Denon?

Jim, I have the reference preamp, the Denon AVP-A1HD, and one of the main features I love is the network streaming feature.

It definitely plays FLAC just fine. The problem is in the DLNA server you are using. WMP 11 is biased towards MS formats (who would have thought? ;) )

The Twonky servers and Media Manger seem to do fine with those formats.

Have you tried using folder navigation in the receiver? That usually works. That’s how I’d select my .WAV files when I was using them.

I’m currently (like right now) converting all my WAV files to FLAC so I can have full meta-data during playback.

thanks for the help!

if by folder navigation you mean the on screen GUI then yes. i can navigate right to the folder where the music i want to play is in but instead of it having a musical note beside it and being highlighted green like the mp3 files, the flac files are black and it simply does nothing when i try to play it. it sees my whole library but wont play it. i have 2TB of flacs just begging to be heard! (of course i still can play them in the man cave on the stereo, but the upstairs is getting jealous!)

so what server are you using? are you PC based or mac? im really frustrated with this right now. i want to play christmas music upstairs on christmas morning while we let the kiddo open gifts but cant until i resolve this.

would i have to ditch WMP 11 and add a new player? all denon says is you have to have WMP 11, thats it. they are worthless in this reguard.

i did add a UPnP plug-in to foobar which seems to have done nothing for me.

:banghead:

I cannot answer your question, but I was wondering if either of you could verify that you can NOT stream 24/96 FLAC to the Denons? The owners manual leads me to believe it will not.

Not that my PC is full of 24/96 FLAC. But in the future, I might have a use for that. The Onkyo and Integra receivers and pre/pros will stream them. Not sure about any others.

I cannot answer your question, but I was wondering if either of you could verify that you can NOT stream 24/96 FLAC to the Denons? The owners manual leads me to believe it will not.

Not that my PC is full of 24/96 FLAC. But in the future, I might have a use for that. The Onkyo and Integra receivers and pre/pros will stream them. Not sure about any others.

as soon as I can start streaming any flac files at all ill be more than happy to let you know.:D

Back