PrimaLuna Integrated

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I currently have the Ethos being driven by a tubed preamp and B&K 200.2 watt solid state amplifier and would like to try a full tube set up. I have read about the Carver 275 (75 watt KT120) and also the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated. I have recently had some problems with my preamp (volume control gets stuck) so am leaning towards the integrated.

I called PrimaLuna and they suggested that the Dialogue Premium (non HP) which is 36 watts per channel with EL34's 40 watts from KT88's, 42 watts from KT120's and 48 for the KT150's vs the HP version which is double the wattage in each configuration.

The Non-HP version is appealing as I could experiment more with different tubes at half the cost. (4 power tubes vs 8)

With the Ethos powered bass and 92db efficiency this seems to make sense but wanted the opinions of Logan owners. Would 40ish watts of tube power drive the Ethos well? I do not listen at crazy loud volumes however I do like dynamic music.

I'm not sure if this will help you, as I only owned the HP version. But it drives my Montis as far as I can tell perfectly. Far more powerful and full bodied than I did power them via my Denon AVR and Cambridge Audio 850W 200 Watt solid state power amp.

I too feed my Summit Xs with PrimaLuna power. I do use two Dialogue Premium amps as mono blocks. In triode, witch I mostly use and with KT 120s they are putting out a bit above 40 Amps. The sound is just fabulous. I like it much better than my previous Conrad Johnson CA 200.

Thanks for the response. According to PrimaLuna the only difference between the 2 amps is the headphone output (HP only) and more power. If I understand the math correctly that means the standard Dialogue Premium would drive the 92db Ethos to 107db (more than enough) for a medium sized room vs the HP version which would increase the output to 110db. The output transformers are the same and they claim the both are stable down to 2 ohms. I was set to go for the HP but i like the idea of the standard only having 4 power tubes. I could upgrade to the KT150s down the road. Any other downside I am not thinking about?

I'm currently trialing the Primaluna HP integrated with Summit X's and really love it. I had/have concerns about clipping because some others have said it's not stable down to the .7 ohm these speakers can get to, but I'm not noticing any. I'm also going to trial the Sanders ESL amplifier which is made specifically for electrostatic speakers. Have to say though, I have about 120 hours on the Primaluna and I really love it. Tube rolling really appeals to me. Wonder if I move to KT120 if that would help with any impedance concerns? I'd love to do the HP or non-HP amplifier as mono, but too much spend for me right now.

Can anyone give advice concerning what clipping would sound like if the Primaluna is indeed insufficient for my Summit X's?

Last edited:

I have looked at the Pharoah as well. Great reviews, much more power but class d hybrid vs. full tube. I feel like my current set up is hybrid and want to try all tube. I don’t know first hand but am told pure tube really brings out the sense of space and 3D in a way that hybrids can’t match. Rogue makes the full tube Cronus but I think the PL looks like the superior piece based on the craftsmanship and the features (Autobias and ability to use a variety of tubes). I agree that the Pharoh would be a great choice however just not sure it would accomplish my goal.

A very late update to this thread. I purchased the Primaluna HP Integrated and use it with my Summit X speakers. However, the other threads I read about the Summit X being difficult to drive due it its impedance drop in the highs bugged me, so I recently purchased a set of Autoformers from Anticables (the box version). They are very beautifully made, and to me, do enhance the sound. I use them at the 3x level, so it makes the 4-ohm speaker look like 12 ohms to the amplifier. Has anyone else tried these? I also changed the tubes to Shuguang Natural Sound 6Ca7's and the sound is fabulous. Not a cheap date, but worth the expense.

I don't know why, but I'm thinking about selling my SUmmit X and buying a friend's Maggie 3.7i"s. I heard them in his home, and they sounded beautiful. I have a pair of REL S812's that I use with the Summits and should be a nice addition for the Maggies if I make the change.

Happy Listening, and Happy New Year!

I have been using Paul Speltz's autoformers for two years now, with my ML ESL's and KT 77 (EL34) driven Elekit TU 8340 amplifier. After extensive experimentation, I settled on the 2x configuration.
It was the BIGGEST upgrade I have ever done!

Fair enough 😄 I was thinking of ML being effectively a Canadian company these many years.

those of us that have been around here as long as myself know full well where the 'heart' of Martin Logan lies ..........

Back