Pricing of Used/Demo ML Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertawillisjr

Reaction score
Ever since the Summits were discontinued, the price structure of used/demo ML speakers has been helter skelter. Used Spires are going for $5500 while some folks are trying to get $4500 for used Prodigys or anywhere from $1500 - $3000 for Odesseys. The asking prices for used Summits are highly erratic. Only the CLS and some of the older speakers seem to have stable asking prices.

With this type of price chaos, how does one make a decision? I am trying to assist a friend upgrade from the SL model and find myself really confused as to what advice to give him. There are too many permutaions here.

I'm sure there are various opinions about how to approach this, but personally I think that the current lineup is of good quality and has good prices on the used market (plus, I prefer the design of the newer speakers). I'd get the Source (with a subwoofer), Vantage, or Spire depending on my budget. I suspect that Summit owners are more keenly aware of the effect the Spires had on the price structure than Prodigy owners are.

I've seen some Vantages go for as low as $2400 on Agon, but I think those were pick up only and I see pair today for $2500, again pick up only. Vista's can be had for $1900-$2200 pair on Agon.

Easy. You make a decision based on the speaker you want (in turn, based on the speaker you prefer).

You then sit tight and wait 'till a good deal comes up.
You are at least half right. Better still is placing a Wanted ad on audiogon. That's how I got my SL3s, and I'm very pleased!

Robert it is trully a sign of our times, as amey said pick a budget, keep eyes open on the "gon", etc and prepare to move in for the kill !

I wouldn't overthink this too much. Spires or Summits at ~5k seems like a hell of a good deal to me. We have many pleased Summit and Spire owners on this forum.

Even the Prodigy or Odyssey models at 3-4k seem like a tremendous bargain.

Erik

I'm utterly amazed at how low some of the Vantage's are at the moment (and in good condition no less). These people must be either well off or desperate, as there's no way in hell I could justify parting with my set of Vantages for much under 3k.

I'm thinking that the wide variation in prices right now has little to do with the discontinuation of the Summit and everything to do with the current state of the economy. Those in solid financial positions are going to ask a premium for their beloved speakers, while those in a much worse, even desperate, financial condition are going to have a fire sale.

I'm not sure what your conundrum is, though. :confused:

Advise your friend to first decide which speaker he most wants to own, and then to be patient and watch audiogon for a few weeks to see what price levels the best deals are for that particular speaker. Then, when a pair comes up at an appealing price, jump on it. Hard economic times like this are a boon to those shopping in the high end used market. There are some great deals to be had. But not everyone is going to let their ML's go for a steal, so you have to watch and wait for the right opportunity.

I'm thinking that the wide variation in prices right now has little to do with the discontinuation of the Summit and everything to do with the current state of the economy. Those in solid financial positions are going to ask a premium for their beloved speakers, while those in a much worse, even desperate, financial condition are going to have a fire sale.

I'm not sure what your conundrum is, though. :confused:

Advise your friend to first decide which speaker he most wants to own, and then to be patient and watch audiogon for a few weeks to see what price levels the best deals are for that particular speaker. Then, when a pair comes up at an appealing price, jump on it. Hard economic times like this are a boon to those shopping in the high end used market. There are some great deals to be had. But not everyone is going to let their ML's go for a steal, so you have to watch and wait for the right opportunity.

He has money to spend and wants to spend it now. But he is also tight fisted and can't make up his mind whether to spend $5500 on Summits or $3500 on Prodigys. I've stop giving him advice on this matter.:(

I've stop giving him advice on this matter.:(

Probably a good decision on your part. The Prodigy and the Summit are completely different speakers, in terms of size, esthetics, sound, performance and efficiency. If he can't decide between those two, then he really has no clue what he needs and/or wants in a speaker. These were both top-of-the-line $10,000 speakers when they were introduced, and are a steal at the prices you listed. But they are very different speakers and one should theoretically be a much better match than the other, depending on room size, associated equipment, listening preferences, etc.

He surprised me and bought the Summits. We'll be setting them up during Spring break on Wednesday. I'll see if he won't join the club and post pictures.

Cool. Methinks that was a good decision on his part. Both the Summits and the Prodigies are fantastic speakers, but the Summits are a little more flexible and can work better in a smaller room.

Be sure to point him to some of the key threads in this forum on placement and setup and tweaks to get the most out of them. Congrats on bringing another ML'ophile into the fold.

Back