Preamps for Krell KST-100

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane2468

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post.

What solid state pre-amps go good with the Krell KST-100 power amp?

My father Tim (lonergan2468) is selling his Conrad Johnson Premier 14 valve pre-amp. Because it is not suitable with his KST-100. the conrad P14 made the Krell sound very boaring and fatigue.

For the last 2 days we have been using my Rotel RC-03 pre-amp on the Krell.
Well what can we say, WHAT A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!!!! The sound has opened up, better midrange, dynamics and bass.

But the Krell needs a better solid state pre-amp though. Don't get me wrong about the Rotel. It's a grate entry level pre.

Any help please.

Shane

Last edited:
There's no shortage of options here and I wouldn't shoot down all tube pre-amps, not when Audio Research and BAT are in the fold.

To that end for SS pre-amps, you can consider:

Pass
Musical Fidelity
Classe
Mark Levinson
Jeff Rowland
Meridian
Bryston
NAD
Ayre

...getting bored...and you get the idea. That's just a partial list by the way. There's probably another 40-50 brands to list.

Erik

Thanks Shane for making an enquiry. Well yes the Rotel did indeed make a difference, but a bit too much in the treble. The Rotel pre is a entry level pre, and matching it up with the Krell KST is not entirely ideal taking in to consideration the calibre of the Krell. Though Rotel do make excellent components, and there is no doubt about that. It was also very interesting to note the increase in authority and weight when we replaced the Conrad with the Rotel. Also quite interestingly; you liked the Conrad and NAD C272 power amp on my system with the MLs but not with your TDL studios. Looks like I have to do some serious research on a suitable pre now.

Krell is not the most talked about here but as you see I run a full Krell system with the best synergy between the components I have heard in a real home. The KST was warm and likes the ML a lot. If you are only running digital then look for a Krell Pre amp to, Dan did did a hell of a job voicing his components to work with each other

Two other options...

Perhaps the tubes in the CJ are old... A good set of NOS might really open that up and be something you like.

If not, I used to use the Krell PAM-5 with my KSA-100 and it was a nice match. Just had a PAM-5 in for the vintage column a few months ago and was really amazed at how good this preamp was and it still has an awesome phono stage as well.

A clean one should only cost you 600 bucks! And Krell can still service it.

Back