power conditoner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
i recently asked about using a ups on my system. but asking around the manufactures said i should use a power condtioner instead. can anyone recommend one for my system.
i have summits, stage, 2 depths, 1 grotto, 2 bryston amps, Lexicon Mc12, oppo dvd. hd tuner, vpi turntable, JVC elite front projector. thanks

Many choices at all price points. $50 - $5,000.

Should audition (check out FATWYRE) before making decision.

A PC will alter the sound. Only you can decide. Be careful about plugging your amp into the PC. Many limit current compromising amp performance.

GG

Hi GG, I have bought a power line, it is a power extension that is supposed to reduce noise. I will be plugging in my components to that. Do you think such power lines can reduce amp performance?

Remember that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term. It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a] Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.
b] Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.
c] UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!
d] Line voltage adjustor.
e] Balanced power transformer.
f] Isolated power transformer.
g] DC blockers.
h] I forget? But I think that there are more.

In any case, most audio system situations don't need one.

Most systems don't need one?

Depends on the transparency of the system and the quality of the incoming AC.

PLC's can make a huge sonic difference.

GG

Hi GG, I have bought a power line, it is a power extension that is supposed to reduce noise. I will be plugging in my components to that. Do you think such power lines can reduce amp performance?

Your need for a "power conditioner" really depends on the consistency and cleanliness of the power coming into your home (I assume you have DC in London). You could have an electrician check your wall outlets with a meter to see how much variation there is but that will not tell you how a PC will affect the sound of your system. I do think it is important to have surge protection for your components since they can be easily damaged if there is a sudden fluctuation if the voltage coming into your house. This is not uncommon in large cities with many users on the grid at the same time. Many power conditioners also have surge protection but be sure that the ones that you are considering qualify. The next issue is how the power conditioner affects the sound of your system. This is the hard part since having a neutral power conditioner that simply distributes the power without altering sound would require that you listen to a candidate device in your own system. I have listened to many of these devices and have found that there are three brands that seem to fill that bill: Shunyata, Audience, and Running Springs Audio. One way of getting closer to your decision is to use a company that allows you borrow and compare. The Cable Company (www.the cableco.com) is a very reasonable and reliable company that allows you to borrow equipment to audition at home. Hope this helps

I run my entire system off of a Power Inspired AG1500. This is a mains regen unit that is MUCH cheaper than PS Audio or other "audiophile" units. It is widely used by audiophiles in the UK. I will warn you that you may not hear much difference if your mains is good.

That's a 1500 Watt regen unit. Ace value for money. I paid £480 delivered for mine when a special offer was on.

http://www.powerinspired.com/

I plug my summits into a schuco isotek sigmas powered by a isotek dc blocker syncro
very nice and good protection in the event of a storm

Back