power cables and speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxspl

Reaction score
does anyone use after market power cords with their amp(s) or ML's in their setups and notice a difference? I am considering upgrading my power cord on my parasound halo A 21 and my ML quests

Is there a reason why you started the same topic three hours late in another forum ????? Get with the program Dude !

I'm using 14g shielded Volex 17604 power cords (from Carlton-Bates) on all my gear, including my Summits. At under $10 ea, they were certainly worth trying. However, I can't say I've noticed any significant improvement. Of note, only the Summit, Vantage, Purity or Source, which have internal amps, would theoretically benefit from a power cord upgrade, as the rest of the line uses power ONLY to initially charge the stat panels. The non-amplified models will keep playing even after unplugged, until the stat panels lose their charge.

As I've learned the past few months, IMHO, the BIGGEST bang for your buck is to improve room acoustics above all else!

I use Foundation research LC 1's which are powercords with the conditioner built in. These made a big difference over the stock cords that came with my Oddessey's. Well worth the investment.

Blue Circle makes a similar powercord, the BC 68 designed specifically for Martin Logans. www.bluecircle.com

thanks guys for your replies, learned a lot in this forum, especially after I got my ML quests. I bought these quests used and got the original power cords with them, and was surprised my dealer never mentioned upgrading the power cords, especially since he sells them and he can make a few $$.

I agree with the room treatment thing wholeheartedly, especially with panel speakers....

I've been using Essential Sound Products The Essence Reference cables on my Summits with good luck, but it just adds a tiny percentage to the presentation.

Since I part time work in a pro studio, I have access to one of best Croatian home made cables. Guy who makes them wants to stay incognito, but I'm sure he is preparing his entrance to the 'big world'. He builds cables from scratch. At home I have one of his cables on the amp, I'm waiting for two more for MLs. The impact on the sound was clearly noticeable, with his cable there were a lot more resolution to the sound, and highs are much sweeter. I hope to get same effect on the MLs, but if the difference is not clearly hearable, I have pair of active monitors to use these great cables.

does anyone use after market power cords with their amp(s) or ML's in their setups and notice a difference?

I use PS Audio XStream Prelude power cords for the Ascents, Cinema, and Scripts. I also use the PS Audio XStream Plus with the Descent. I can't say that I notice a difference because I have never listened to these speakers with the packaged power cables.

As Kaboomnash said, I am looking for cable management also, as the original power cords that came with my cd, amp are so long, I have tons of wire hanging out the back and sides of my stereo system. So while I would get shorter lenghths of wire, I would hopefully hear some improvement in sound as well, although my ML quests sound good already. Considering some sound treatment options is a really good idea as mentioned in previous posts, such as tonepub's post, but I think using room treatments will not be approved by my wife

...I think using room treatments will not be approved by my wife

You could be surprised at what you can get away with, if you are a bit creative;)

I've got lots of ugly acoustic foam behind the SL3s, but it is hidden behind the curtains.
Right behind the sofa there is a wall, not good for horrible reflections. There we've got a large dragon spread with cotton padding at the back. Looks nice, absorbs the highs:rocker:

Judicious placement of furniture and carpet can eliminate most first-order reflections too. These are the ones that hurt.

Thanks guys, those are really good ideas! You do have a point with the ML's being large speakers in the first place, I am suprised myself that my wife even likes speakers that large, but she finds that she likes the sound from them as much as I do!!:music:

Latest posts

Back