Plinius SA-103 and MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, GG, thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered Pass Labs, I'll take a look.

Joey V, I've read where the Summit's impedance can dip pretty low at higher frequencies. How does the SA-102 handle the upper end?

I've read where the Summit's impedance can dip pretty low at higher frequencies. How does the SA-102 handle the upper end?

Effortlessly ! yes those of us who own Plinius are biased, but those that don't and have at least listened tend to feel the same as well !

It is written and accepted to be one hell of a fine SS amp......... don't take my word for it, read all the reviews you can locate.

BTW, the Hi freq impedence dip is high enough that very little musical energy is present and that which is does not "tax the amp at all".

Joey V, I've read where the Summit's impedance can dip pretty low at higher frequencies. How does the SA-102 handle the upper end?
One of THE BEST solid state amps I have heard to date. In fact I have shopped and auditioned both tube and ss amps, and I ended up purchasing the Plinius 102. In A/B it is very good. In A it is in another world. And you get to select the mode you want to listen in. Great for those who do not want the space heater running all the time !!! :D

Low end control and authority (no flab or bloat), mids to die for (what our ML's do best), and accurate but smooth high end (not rolled off, and not typical ss).

I have also heard it on Summits and Vantages and it was superb.

A local store which carries ML and Plinius received a 102 and within a week it was sold and happened repeatedly. I have personally yet to hear the 103.

Remember these are all our opinions, and if you can get out and listen for yourself, all the better.

Effortlessly ! yes those of us who own Plinius are biased, but those that don't and have at least listened tend to feel the same as well !

It is written and accepted to be one hell of a fine SS amp......... don't take my word for it, read all the reviews you can locate.

Funny you say that. Wayne Garcia of Absolute Sound trashed it a bit, saying that he could not hear "through it", that it sounded too much like a piece of gear rather than music. He used ML Aeons in his review at avguide.com

This, of course, does not mean much, other than all the more reason to audition yourself first, rather than reading reviews and soliciting opinions.

Twich54, DTB300, thanks!! You guys present a persuasive case for the Plinius. :D

Now I've got a little work to do and try to arrange an audition. Good point David.

To all the ML brethren that replied to my questions thanks and :bowdown::bowdown:

As the original poster of this thread, I thought I'd weigh in on the SA-103: I LOVE it! I've been using it for the past several months driving a pair of SL3s and I think it's definitely one of the best solid state power amplifiers I've ever heard. It's powerful when it needs to be yet can sound delicate on less demanding material and sounds oh so sweet in Class A mode (but prepare yourself, it runs very hot in this mode). They've become quite pricey of late but I personally think the price is justified given that you get a very well built product that looks and sounds superb. Give one a listen...

Funny you say that. Wayne Garcia of Absolute Sound trashed it a bit, saying that he could not hear "through it", that it sounded too much like a piece of gear rather than music. He used ML Aeons in his review at avguide.com

This, of course, does not mean much, other than all the more reason to audition yourself first, rather than reading reviews and soliciting opinions.

On a more revealing speaker, the Plinius 102/3 are terrific in being able to resolve the difference between A and A/B. On a less revealing speaker, I could barely hear the difference. When I had the Minis at my place, going from A/B to A yielded very little change in sonic character.

However, with the Summits, the change is pretty drastic and for the better.

I'm not sure what Wayne Garcia means by "not being able to hear through it"... he has to have some sort of bias as to what he feels a particular piece (music, electronic upstream) should sound like when he reviewed the Plinius.

As for me, I feel that the Plinius gives me what I want for a not-so-ridiculous price. Especially if you can score a nice used one.

On a more revealing speaker, the Plinius 102/3 are terrific in being able to resolve the difference between A and A/B. On a less revealing speaker, I could barely hear the difference. When I had the Minis at my place, going from A/B to A yielded very little change in sonic character.

However, with the Summits, the change is pretty drastic and for the better.

I'm not sure what Wayne Garcia means by "not being able to hear through it"... he has to have some sort of bias as to what he feels a particular piece (music, electronic upstream) should sound like when he reviewed the Plinius.

As for me, I feel that the Plinius gives me what I want for a not-so-ridiculous price. Especially if you can score a nice used one.

Joey,

My only point is that one's opinion gets colored, anchored, and influenced if people solicit opinions first before listening. I think the decision making process works better if one listens first. If he/ she likes it, then one should read reviews and ask others for opinions. Psycho-acoustics do have very strong effects.

It must be a darn good amp if you have not had the urge to upgrade in a year or however long you have owned it! Have you tried the SB 301?:devil:

It must be a darn good amp if you have not had the urge to upgrade in a year or however long you have owned it! Have you tried the SB 301?:devil:

Forget the SB 301. I think Joey's next stop is the SA REF! :devil:

David, It is 'darn good', as for myself, the urge came from the desire to put tubes up against my Logans, not from any dissatisfaction with my 'Plinny'. FWIW, this past week the mood hit me to listen through my SA-102 again, that's why it's still sitting where it is !!

Having both is somewhat akin to vinyl vs. CD, when there good they can be very good, albeit somewhat different !

David, It is 'darn good', as for myself, the urge came from the desire to put tubes up against my Logans, not from any dissatisfaction with my 'Plinny'.
Hey Dave, since you were responsible for nicknaming Joey "the Kid", I think it only appropriate that you have a nickname too, the obvious one being, "Pliny the Elder", a famous Roman.

Hey Dave, since you were responsible for nicknaming Joey "the Kid", I think it only appropriate that you have a nickname too, the obvious one being, "Pliny the Elder", a famous Roman.

Good one, Bernard.

do I take "Elder" to mean old ?????????? I am but a mere youngster.....well at least compared to a select few on the board !

Hear hear... Dave has now been bestowed title of "elder".

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

do I take "Elder" to mean old ?????????? I am but a mere youngster.....well at least compared to a select few on the board !

HEY - watch it there bucko! You may have well have said "compared to that old FART Tim!" :mad:

HEY - watch it there bucko! You may have well have said "compared to that old FART Tim!" :mad:

Yeah, I guess if Dave is "Pliny the elder" then Tim must be "Batty the eldest." :D

Just think, with all us old farts on board, this forum must represent hundreds if not thousands of years of high-end audio experience!

Just think, with all us old farts on board, this forum must represent hundreds if not thousands of years of high-end audio experience!

What's this "us" you're talking about Rich - what the hell are you, all of 35? Hell, I'm the inverse of those digits. ;)

I do agree though - there is a wealth of experience on this board.

Batty the Eldest - I kind of like that....

Back