Please help me pick surround speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romax

Reaction score
I am kinda stuck picking rear surround speakers. The contenders are ML Motion 4i, ML Motion 15, or Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000.
You can see in my signature the rest of the equipment. It is a dedicated 16x18 room with 9 ft ceilings. In addition to regular movies we watch lots of opera DVDs so sound quality is a must. Budget is flexible. Open to other options of course. Thanks in advance.

I've got the ML Motion 4i's for Surrounds and Backs. I don't feel the need for anything better for surround duties. The best part about them is the folded tweeter, second is the fact that the port is on the front which makes wall mounting work so well.

I don't listen to any music content through them so if that's important then you may want something larger. That said, they're great speakers for their size.

I've got the ML Motion 4i's for Surrounds and Backs. I don't feel the need for anything better for surround duties. The best part about them is the folded tweeter, second is the fact that the port is on the front which makes wall mounting work so well.

I don't listen to any music content through them so if that's important then you may want something larger. That said, they're great speakers for their size.

Thanks, appreciate your input

Are you against putting them in the ceiling? My room is smaller than yours by a bit 16x17, so I went with the ML Vanquish speakers for my rear surrounds, and my 4 atmos speakers.

Are you against putting them in the ceiling? My room is smaller than yours by a bit 16x17, so I went with the ML Vanquish speakers for my rear surrounds, and my 4 atmos speakers.

Yes staying away from the ceiling but those Vanquish seem to be certainly impressive

How far away from the MLP, and at what height will you be placing the rears?

If you have >4', then the biggest speaker in the Motion line you can afford/fit would be my recommendation.

If <4, then I'd go with a coax driver speaker, like the Elac UB5.

The rears will be about 15 ft from the front, can put them at any height I want but it seems from reading around 2ft above ear level is where they should be.

Vanquish are awesome! Because of the depth of my room I have only a 7.2.2 setup but all vanquish.

Back