Please comment on my set-up (newbie)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aas5

Reaction score
Guys,
I am considering the following ML set-up for my living room and would like to get your feedback, objective and subjective, about my choice of speakers and what you would do differently.

Front Speakers: Purity
Center: Motif
Surround: debating between Fresco i and Vignette
Subwoofer: Depth i

I will use Pioneer Elite 82vsx AVR to run everything.

Thanks for everyone's input, this is very helpful.

Sounds good, I have the ML Source and Motif running off of a nice Sunfire amp. Just use the preouts on your receiver, have the amp power the front and surrounds, and I believe you will be pretty happy. For the rears, it depends on your application. If you want to listen to multichannel music, I believe the Fresco has more ATF surface and probably better sound. If you are only doing 2 channel music and regular HT, then get whatever you can find for cheaper. Welcome.

That is a very nice set up! I will also be taking delivery on some Puritys and a Dynamo very soon. Just like tsmooth said, hook the Puritys up with rca to the preouts on the receiver. The only problem with doing that is the Puritys run a sensitivity of 95db and the Motif and ATFs at about 89 or 90db. The Puritys will over-power everything else. So make sure you run Pioneer's MCAAC calibration and it should make the necessary adjustments automatically. If that doesn't work for some reason just dial the fronts down 5 or 6 db or crank all the rest of the channels up 5 or 6db.

Good Set Up

That sounds like a good system. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-91 receiver to power my system:

Fronts: Purities.
Center: Vignette (Upgrading soon to the Matinee)
Rears: Currently garbage (Upgrading to Vignettes)
Sub: Abyss

Just like BHaugger said run the MCACC calibration. I ended up adjusting the center channel up 4dB to compensate for the higher sensitivity of the Purities over the Vignette since I have the Purities hooked up via interconnects.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Chris
How do you like those Grados? I ended up ordering a Dynamo the other day which will probably get here before my Puritys. I also ordered an 1/8" to 1/4" mini adaptor from Monster for my headphones to go to my Mac C220. The cheap adaptors from work are garbage. I'm getting a bunch of noise from certain frequencies and transients in the music when I use that cheap adaptor. That McIntosh sounds so good through those SR80s though. I love them! Anyone reading this should invest in some Grado headphones if you haven't already!!

Chris - Some guys on the message board were nice enough to recommend some cd players to me. I'll probably get the Ayre CX-7e.....check it out!

Back