Please Advise!!!! Upgrade Bug

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huyn0081

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I want to upgrade my system and dont know where to start. I listned to music more than movie 60/40.

Current Setup:
Krell HTS
Krell kav/250a-Power Ascent
Monster Power 250/3 amp- Power Clarity and Cinema I
Rega Apollo
PS 3
Martin Logan Grotto

I just want to improve the overall audio and video of my system. However, I like to focus on the audio part, becuase I do lisnted to music more than watching movie. I was thinking maybe to start out with the processor? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

When you say listening to music, do you mean 2-channel or multi-channel audio? If you want to put more focus on 2-channel audio, I highly recommend getting a linestage (pre-amp) with HT bypass. The rationale being that you'll be listening to the preamp during 2-channel music and switch over to the Krell processor for surround sound video mode. Beyond this step, I'd venture into bi-amping with a high-quality amp on the panels. My preference is with tubes on the panels, but others have achieved good results with a good class-A solid-state driving the panels as well.

Good luck,
Spike

Maybe you should start by identifying what you do not like about your system sonically, and what you'd like to have.

I'd have to second the recommendation for room treatments. I wish I'd have thought about them a earlier in audio journey.

Gordon

I'd have to second the recommendation for room treatments. I wish I'd have thought about them a earlier in audio journey.

Gordon

I think I'm going to start out with room treatment, I will be contacting GIK Acoustic and get a quote from them. I might need about 5 bass traps one for each corners, 3 Acoustic panel, 1 monster bass trap, and 1 Elite bass trap. According to GIK website I'm looking at around 1k for everything. However their price seem little bit high for my budget. Does any members in here know where I can get room acoustic stuff for lower price? Thanks

You can DIY panels and traps if your motivated to go that route and save a lot of money and customize the covering to match your room.

I was under the impression that GIK was the most reasonable for what you get. There are some sponge traps out there, but feel you'd be wasting money on them and become discouraged with the whole "room treatment" suggestion.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest reading some of JonFo's research and view his projects right here!

Gordon

Back