Placing center channel - only bad choices!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I have a Fresco (non-i) coming next Monday that will become my center channel, but I have no idea where to put it!

Here is my system: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8734

I can either clear out the space below the TV, and put it there, and try to angle it upwards, or. . . The end! There is no flat surface on the top of the TV to put a center (especially a heavy one), although I could probably get some styrofoam and double sided tape to make a shelf for one, and try to angle it down.

There is no where else to put a center I'm aware of! It would have to sound horrible on the floor.

What do folks do? Until I switch to a wall mount TV, with the center mounted below it, I'm kind of hosed. Is it better to just run without a center?

At least you have a carpeted floor, that should help reduce some of the floor reflections. I have the exact same situation as you until I make some major changes in my system except I have a hard wood floor. If anyone has some ideas for creative solutions I would be interested to hear as well.

You'll need a strong-armed helper to help you figure it out, but it should become pretty obvious once you try out your two choices: immediately above or below the screen. My guess is above. What were your plans when you ordered it?

My suggestion would be to clear off the shelf below the TV and put it down there. I've had my center above and below my TV, and I prefer the way it sounds below. The sweetspot seems a little smaller, but the sound seems to be more naturally connected to the TV than when it was above the screen.

Plus, putting it on the shelf below the TV would be a much simpler and cheaper solution.

Sounds better, costs less, what's not to like?

--Richard

You'll need a strong-armed helper to help you figure it out, but it should become pretty obvious once you try out your two choices: immediately above or below the screen. My guess is above. What were your plans when you ordered it?

I actually got the Fresco 'free' because I purchased some Mosaics and a Dynamo and the Fresco and a pair of Acculine A1's were included.

I actually got the Fresco 'free' because I purchased some Mosaics and a Dynamo and the Fresco and a pair of Acculine A1's were included.

I would sell it and pocket the cash I think the voices sound better from two fresco's instead of one anyway and with no real good placement options I think you are better of that way just my two cents though. I have basically that same setup in my living room and would never ad a second fresco it just is not needed

I would sell it and pocket the cash I think the voices sound better from two fresco's instead of one anyway and with no real good placement options I think you are better of that way just my two cents though. I have basically that same setup in my living room and would never ad a second fresco it just is not needed

I am strongly considering doing just that, using just the mosaics for my front stage, and go Phantom center. The only place this isn't superior is if you are way out of the sweet spot.

I need to try an above the TV mounting (just rig something up temporarily) and see what that does/doesn't do to the sound.

Truly calibrating it and revalidating all my phase/connections/processor settings will ease my mind too.

Hello,
How about selling your current A/V stand and replacing it with one that could hold a CC? Since the Fresco is designed to work both horizontally or vertically, should work. While I realize it is an added expense, well might be worth it.

A phantom front stage can sound shockingly good with fastidious setup of the mains. All the same, it cannot compare to a well integrated 3 channel front stage. To many, the center channel speaker is the single most speaker in a surround array. After purchasing a Stage, I am inclined to agree.
Cheers,
ML

Center Placements

I had a guy weld me up a bracket. I removed the bottom piece of the stand from my Theater i And he fashioned the bottom part of the bracket to match it . There are two arms the go up and attach to the joists in my ceiling. I can hang from the bracket. It's that solid The guy also put three matching holes in the bracket to match those of my center. It's bolted to the stand. I'd show you a picture but I'm not sure how you put an attachment with this post. Art

You could always put it on a stand in front of the tv. That's what I did with my Stage. I also a 2' x 2' fiberglass trap behind it to capture the rear reflections. I also moved my front Vantages to be in line with the center. I noticed imaging and sound stage improvements when the fronts are in front of the tv rather than directly beside it.

Of course, WAF may have more to do with placement than anything else. I would stay away from a phantom center. I tried it once and it just seems unnatural.

Back