Pink Floyd / WYWH SACD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hopefully Tom will forgive not following protocol for this piece of music. I think most PF fans are familiar with this.

Just received the new Analogue Productions reissue of this seminal Pink Floyd "piece de resistance".

Will have a listen soon and report back. Note that I don't have a 5.1 audio system so my comments will be limited to good old 2 channel stereo.

GG

Gordon,

I have listened to the 5.1 channel mix of this CD 4 times now. I think it is better than DSOTM 5.1 mix. It is excellent and well worth picking up. Anyone get the Immersion CDs? Just wondering if it is worth the money.

Gordon,

I have listened to the 5.1 channel mix of this CD 4 times now. I think it is better than DSOTM 5.1 mix. It is excellent and well worth picking up. Anyone get the Immersion CDs? Just wondering if it is worth the money.

I just received the WYWH emersion box set and am working my way through it. Is it worth the money? I would say it is up to each individual. Five total disc's with 2 CDs, 2 DVDs and 1 Blu Ray. There is a substantial amount of previously unreleased material. Disc 1 (CD) The 2011 remastering of the original album is great. Disc 2 (CD) Unreleased audio tracks with 66 minutes gives some altenative versions and some live at Wembley material. But for me the Blu Ray disc brings it all together. For me this has solid value. When I received the DSOTM Immersion Box Set, there wasn't as much new (to me) material and I was a bit disappointed but with WYWH I'm smiling. YMMV

Gary

I have the SACD and I am not disappointed by the sound. It sounds so much better than the Masterworks version. There are a few areas where you can tell that it came from an older master, but it sounds great. I wish that today's product was mastered and produced so well. I only have a 2ch rig.

I have the SACD and have listened just once to the surround track, and it is really good. Especially Welcome to the Machine. Sounds coming from everywhere and a great sense of immersion.

Overall I like this one better than DSOTM.

I have the SACD and I am not disappointed by the sound. It sounds so much better than the Masterworks version. There are a few areas where you can tell that it came from an older master, but it sounds great. I wish that today's product was mastered and produced so well. I only have a 2ch rig.

Robert,

Literature indicates that it is from the "original master tape". Not saying I doubt your observations.

Having said that, how can you tell that it came from an older master?

GG

so is this a thumbs up for this SACD Gordon?? :) I was curious about this one... but, wasn't sure if I wanted to pull the trigger... I like 'the floyd' and all but... don't really listen to them much even though I have dsotm and the wall.... my son and i are thinking about going to see the roger waters wall tour....

timm,

Haven't listened to it yet. Will by the end of this week and post. Discovered a new (to me) Mexican classical composer and spending time thereof.

Hope you and your son go see the show. I trust it's something you will always remember.

Gordon

By older I meant time not version. Sorry. I meant that the original master tapes are old. One can tell that the recording equipment is not what we would call state of the art by today's standards.

It is the best version of WYWH that I have heard, to date.

I just received the WYWH emersion box set and am working my way through it. Is it worth the money? I would say it is up to each individual. Five total disc's with 2 CDs, 2 DVDs and 1 Blu Ray. There is a substantial amount of previously unreleased material. Disc 1 (CD) The 2011 remastering of the original album is great. Disc 2 (CD) Unreleased audio tracks with 66 minutes gives some altenative versions and some live at Wembley material. But for me the Blu Ray disc brings it all together. For me this has solid value. When I received the DSOTM Immersion Box Set, there wasn't as much new (to me) material and I was a bit disappointed but with WYWH I'm smiling. YMMV

Gary

I too got the Immersion Box Set and I too think the Bluray disc in 5.1 surround sound is one of the best mixes I have heard to date. I thought that DSOTM was the best Pink Floyd 5.1 material to date, but after hearing WYWH in 96kHz/24bit, I have a new favorite. I have listened to WYWH hundreds of times, maybe 1000s and during the Bluray disc I heard music coming from places I had never heard before and I actually heard things I never have heard before. This is a great mix and the amount of effort that went in to doing a 5.1 surround mix is very evident. For me as a MC guy this box set is worth every penny and will be enjoyede for many years to come.

timm,

Listened to Cuts 2 and 3 last night.

Two ears up.

GG

awesome... I can imagine that your speakers do quite well with Pink Floyd...Thinking the bass is... uh fantastic??? I know DSOTM had some spooky type bass in it....

awesome... I can imagine that your speakers do quite well with Pink Floyd...Thinking the bass is... uh fantastic??? I know DSOTM had some spooky type bass in it....

WYWH has just as spooky bass as DSOTM. It was actually moving stuff upstairs, I mean WYWH has some of the same super low level sub bass, unbelievable.

Back