Phantom center vs real

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I am thinking about dumbing my Klipsches in favor some Vantages and have a question about center channels. I would prefer to simplify things and go phantom or maybe use a Fresco i on the wall. What are everyones thoughts? Would a phantom center work well for a 2 person sweet spot?

IMO, phantom works better than a non-matching center channel (though three Vantages would be SWEET:D ). There shouldn't be an issue with a two wide sweet spot but any wider and you will probably lose center focus. In the real world a Fresco would probably be OK as they have a similar sound to the other ML though you might want to use a center woofer with it for full range sound.

I use the Vista for my fronts, Mosaics for my rears and an Abyss sub. I find that if you are able to listen in the "sweet spot" between the two front speakers you won't miss the center, especially one that doesn't perform to the same level as your main speakers. This "sweet spot" will vary in size dependant on the type of speaker, distance, etc.. If you are listening from a position greatly off center then a center channel is the only way to go. Remember the center channel was created to keep the dialogue coming from the screen in a large movie theater. At home you can place yourself in the ideal listening position so the phantom center becomes a viable alternative.

I think you're better off going without a center if you do get Vantages. The Fresco i will not match very well, especially at higher volumes.

Get yourself the Vantages and save up for a Stage or Motif and put that on the wall.

I am thinking about dumbing my Klipsches in favor some Vantages and have a question about center channels. I would prefer to simplify things and go phantom or maybe use a Fresco i on the wall. What are everyones thoughts? Would a phantom center work well for a 2 person sweet spot?

Macallan,
Will you be using the Vantages for just music or for HT as well? If just for music, no need for a center at all. If also for HT, what type and size of TV you have between the Vantages might determine wheather you can get away with a phantom center or not. Obviously if you have a large projection TV or large plasma or LCD that you won't be mounting on the wall you would probably want to go with a center. If you will be primarily using the setup for HT, I would get a center. I agree with Bober that an Xstat center would be much better than a Fresco i.

Although I didn't dump my Klipsch's,(I moved them to another setup), You'll be much happier with the Logans. I know there are others on this site who have done the same thing.

Good Luck

Back