PH-5 problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Oh well I'm in a temporary state of 'analog shut down' ..........I've got a loud 'hum' in my right channel that I've traced to my phono-pre, I'm hoping it's something simple like a shorted tube (gotta' do a swap to concur).........first time I've had a ARC failure...ever !

Last edited:
Dave, isn't that a bummer? Just when you think it's finally burned in, it craps out !

I've not had any problem with my ARC pre, apart from a dirty pot (understandable after several years), which I replaced with a stepped attenuator. I've had the power switches on both my ARC monoblocks fail.

Just when you think it's finally burned in, it craps out !

But Bernard it's got less than 2000 hrs on it......it can't be broken in yet !! ............:devil:

On a serious note if it is a shorted tube (6922 / E88CC, total of four) I've got a legit reason to 'roll in' something different...............anybody have any recomendations ??

Dave maybe the EAT , I put one in my ET-5 much better than stock and they say 10000 hrs life I only needed one but at $225 a piece and you need 4 it might be a bit to costly

EAT - COOL VALVE ECC 88 (6922)Price: $225.00
30-Day Guarantee

The EAT Cool Valve ECC88 is the Best 6922 We've EVER Heard!
The new European-built EAT ECC88 (6DJ8 & 6922) triode tube from the European Audio Team is incredible! We have tried this tube in every component we could find, from phono preamps and line stages to CD players and power amplifiers. We were floored by what we heard. Simply put, the EAT ECC88 has greater focus, greater clarity, greater resolution and a lower noise floor than any 6922 we've ever heard!

Built to the tightest tolerances in the world, EAT manufactures their tubes to an absolute scale for to ensure that every tube sounds exactly as it should, no deviation from perfection. EAT are extensively tests their tubes to ensure accuracy and thermal stability as well as matching every other EAT tube made. Each EAT Cool Valve tube includes an integrated EAT Tube Damper for improved resistance to vibration.

Rated for a lifespan of 10,000 hours, these tubes have beat the pants off our NOS (New Old Stock) input tubes. Yes, they are expensive, but they're worth every penny! Still have doubts? Give us a call.

Last edited:
Dave, I have Gold Aero Platinum Grade 7308's in my preamp. They were a huge improvement over the stock Chinese tubes as well as over NOS Valvo 6DJ8's. Try them (if you can find 'em). I bought mine many years ago in San Diego for only $35 apiece !

EAT - COOL VALVE ECC 88 (6922)Price: $225.00
30-Day Guarantee.

Gulp...............truthfully Larry I would have to 'hear' the supposed 'big difference' before I plopped down 1k for four 6922's

Tomorrow Sunday is shaping up to be rainy day here in SE Pa so I'll do my tube swapping then in hopes of determining if that is in fact the problem. in all honesty I have no plans of exceeding $35-60 per tube.

I hear you Dave its a lot of dough for 4 tubes.

Luckily my ET-5 only has one and I can tell you this tube so far is every bit as good as the hype in my Preamp. I had a few NOS 6922 in there as well as a few newer tubes and this one is the hands down winner.

Good luck you might want to try the Gold Lions I liked them in my CJ 17LS.

GO BILLS tonite.

Well it's not a tube issue with my PH-5 so it's back to Audio Research for repairs.....unless I can find someone locally. Hopefully it's something simple like a capacitor.

In the meantime I'm borrowing a Fosgate Signature from a friend, he's actually thinking about selling it and from what I've been hearing, I might buy it !

Dave, have you checked the ground connections on the PH-5/cables?

The Fosgate is one nice-looking unit, but IIRC it's not ideal for very low output moving-coils. If you buy it, send me your PH-5; I'll (try to) fix it and keep it :)

Dave, have you checked the ground connections on the PH-5/cables?

Hi Bernard, yes I've ruled out the ground possibility. It's definetly a right channel only issue.

The Fosgate is one nice-looking unit, but IIRC it's not ideal for very low output moving-coils. If you buy it, send me your PH-5; I'll (try to) fix it and keep it :)

yes I've heard that, myself, not a real big fan of ultra low output MC's (too damn much fidiling, perfection of component matching, etc for my tastes), besides the quality of medium output MC's today is so good which in turn makes phono pre matching much easier.............thus my use of the Benz-Micro Glider SM........best 1k cart on the planet....IMO !

Dave, I'll be very interested in hearing(reading) your evaluation of the Fosgate pre; especially in comparison to the PH5. Hope the fix for the ARC gear is something simple.

Will do Steve........once I've got some more time with it (I don't think it has the obligatory 'Bernard Break- in time' !)

:)

Dave, I remember an email exchange I had many years ago with Harry Weisfeld, where he said that the signal from a cartridge is not large enough to burn-in phono cables, and he knows some audiophiles who disconnect the clips from the cartridge and instead use a jerry-rig to connect them to a tuner, and burn in the cables that way. He also said that improvements could be had by soldering cables directly into the phono box instead of using RCA connections.

Got your soldering iron handy?

Back