Performance vs value

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTC

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Here in Sweden it´s difficult to hear all the avalible amplifiers in live.
Therefore we must thrust our Hifi magazins ex. TAS a lot. But we have very different prices here. I mean; Europeen brands are much cheaper here, than in US. For example ARC 200, Pass Lab Int-150, NAD M3, price round $7´. In Sweden round $10´
But Nad M3 cost just $ 7´in Sweden. The Gamut 150 (best in it´s class) $12´ in US, in Sweden $ 10´ same as ARC 200 in Sweden. Thet makes it impossible to compare. TAS often compare products in the same price area and value for the money. If I can get the Gamut 150 for the same price as ARC 200 it would be "bargain" or.......

I have a Krell Kav 400 i. I wonder if these amps are much better than mine.
Maybee it,s better to step up futher. I want value for my monney of course

/Tommy

Hi Guys
Here in Sweden it´s difficult to hear all the avalible amplifiers in live.
Therefore we must thrust our Hifi magazins ex. TAS a lot. But we have very different prices here. I mean; Europeen brands are much cheaper here, than in US. For example ARC 200, Pass Lab Int-150, NAD M3, price round $7´. In Sweden round $10´
But Nad M3 cost just $ 7´in Sweden. The Gamut 150 (best in it´s class) $12´ in US, in Sweden $ 10´ same as ARC 200 in Sweden. Thet makes it impossible to compare. TAS often compare products in the same price area and value for the money. If I can get the Gamut 150 for the same price as ARC 200 it would be "bargain" or.......

I have a Krell Kav 400 i. I wonder if these amps are much better than mine.
Maybee it,s better to step up futher. I want value for my monney of course

/Tommy

Good question. Putting sonic preferences aside, the best way to compare the value of gear is to check out what the market values it at. The best "liquid" market for audio gear is audiogon. Take a look at the listings for the units you are interested in. Also, see if you can purchase a 30 day subscription to the blue book to check out what the market is valuing each piece of gear you are interested in.

Ultimately, though, you will have to listen to this gear in your system to see if you like it. I don't like most tube amps, even if they were given to me at 10 cents on the dollar. So if you see a piece of gear at a good price, buy it. Listen to it in your system, and sell it if you don't like it without taking too big of loss.

Another thing to keep in mind is that other than B&W, Sonus Faber, and MBL, most foreign brands are not well distributed in US. This is because there already is a lot of competition in the US. Unless something knocks the socks off, no one is interested in selling it.

Thanks David
..for your interesting answer. The audiogon was a very good site.
A lot of value for me

/Tommy

Thanks David
..for your interesting answer. The audiogon was a very good site.
A lot of value for me

/Tommy

Tommy,

I am glad you found Audiogon and my comments valuable. Not to get too deep on an audio forum, but Friedrich von Hayek won the Nobel prize in Economics for this idea of markets as "collective intelligence" in 1974. (The ideas were first articulated in 1945.) I am just standing on the shoulders of a giant, restating them and applying them to our hobby.

Best,
David

Back