Perfect question for you.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to hit him up for a SACD and the ripped file to A/B test the results.

That would be interesting, but a nigh on impossible test since you would no doubt using different DACs and playback hardware for each. Unless you have a dCS Scarlatti handy.......?

Damn! Good point Adam.

I also took note after my last post that he shows his Peter Gabriel ripped SACD collection in 24/96 files, according to him the output files vary by the individual release. :think:

Damn! Good point Adam.

I also took note after my last post that he shows his Peter Gabriel ripped SACD collection in 24/96 files, according to him the output files vary by the individual release. :think:

Hm... are you sure about this Jim? I've had a good trawl and I don't think anyone has actually cracked the encryption yet. Sure you can rip the CD layer, and people claim to have managed to read the TOCs, but reading the DSD layer from a DVD drive, breaking the encryption and converting it to PCM at 32 or 24 bits slash whatever using free s/w from a warez site? Nope.

Demonoid has SACD rips but I believe they are analogue or CD layer rips.

If you believe otherwise, please be more specific? Thanks.

we usually get together and have a session and music from time to time. I will make a point of inspecting the files better, and then the software. I want to see it used, then I may have a better answer.

Also of note he claims his software was acquired from a programmer in Japan he works with, not from demonoid even though he pointed me to the SW on there saying its the same.

If you believe otherwise, please be more specific? Thanks.

Justin - there was also another thread pointed to here (but lost in the database crash, and I can't be bothered finding it right now) that explained how it can be done using an Oppo (which outputs the DSD stream) and using another box to convert to PCM, then taking the S/PDIF output to a PC input and ripping that (but in real-time).

With time and money, anything is possible. There are one or two ways for the hard-core to rip with compromise, but I think in the final analysis, these pesky "stupid?" little discs remain "un-rippable".

What certainly remains categorically impossible is the ripping (and subsequent streaming and converting of) DSD using hardware to the avail of a reasonable audiophile - which is arguably SACD's greatest asset.

Last edited:
Back