Passive Bi-amping Ascents??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianB

Reaction score
I’ve been very happy driving my Ascents with one main amp the last 5 years. That amp has been a Jon Soderberg modded Threshold S/500II. The amp sounds fabulous and is rated at 250wpc @ 8 ohms and doubles down to 500wpc at 4 ohms with the Ascents. The amp is bi-wired to the speakers. A while back I added a Velodyne DD12 sub to the mix to fill out the bottom end. The Ascents are crossed over (hi-pass) to the sub at 80Hz w/a 24db slope. Low pass is 58Hz @ 6db. It works well in my room although I always have room to tweak.

As luck would have it, my main Threshold went down in a freak incident several weeks ago and is currently in SoCal being repaired by Jon.

In the meantime, I substituted a Threshold 400A as my main amp. This amp is 100 class A watts at 8 ohms, and will double it’s power at 4 ohms very cleanly. It’s working very well in my system.

So my question is…, when my main amp comes back, and I’ve got 2 great amps sitting in my rack, is it simply plugging one amp into each set of speaker inputs for a passive bi-amp setup?

I assume I’ll try the S500 driving the 2 woofers from 80-250Hz (seems a bit overkill, no?) and let the class A 400A drive the panels. Coming from the same manufacturer, the gain levels are within 2 db of each other so no worries there. I’m not interested in going active bi-amping at this time, I’d like to use the equipment I have on hand.

Is there anything to be careful of with this setup or anything I should expect? Improvements to expect?

Last edited:
Yep. That sounds OK to me. As long as the pre-amp/receiver can facilitate the extra wires you are good to go.

I have never bi-amped before, but based on the numerous posts on the subject, everyone seems pleased with the changes. A lot of folks like to bi-amp with a tube amp on the panels.

It can't hurt anything to give this a try.

Erik

Back