Pass Mono Block Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
I’m contemplating on upgrading my amp from the Pass X350.5 to the Pass XA160.5. Do you think it would be an over kill? I hope it will allow the Summit Xs to perform even better? What are your thoughts?

If need be just click on my system link below to see my current setup. Thanks!

George, I have considered the same question. Haven't heard the XA.5 series yet, but I would imagine it would be a small improvement rather than a major improvement over the X-350.5.

I’m contemplating on upgrading my amp from the Pass X350.5 to the Pass XA160.5. Do you think it would be an over kill? I hope it will allow the Summit Xs to perform even better? What are your thoughts?

If need be just click on my system link below to see my current setup. Thanks!

I think it'd be worth an audition, certainly. I'm intigued by the XA160.5 monoblocks myself. BTW, what is this term "over kill"? I have no idea of what that concept means. Now, excuse me while I crack some peanuts with a sledgehammer... :)

I think it'd be worth an audition, certainly. I'm intigued by the XA160.5 monoblocks myself. BTW, what is this term "over kill"? I have no idea of what that concept means. Now, excuse me while I crack some peanuts with a sledgehammer... :)

love the analogy Rich ! I concur, if at all possible an audtition would be sweet......other than some 'Class A' "warmth" if you will, I tend to agree with 'Rich' in that it would be minimal....but as always George...YMMV !

It's a term that originated in the Military meaning Useing a howitzer when a handgun will do.... equivalent to using a diamond studded baseball bat.

Having heard your wonderful setup, I'd recommend keeping the X350.5 and putting the $$ towards a streaming audio server setup. I think that would ultimately have far more impact on your musical enjoyment.

It's a term that originated in the Military meaning Useing a howitzer when a handgun will do.... equivalent to using a diamond studded baseball bat.

Ah, so it's a synonym for "thorough", then. Got it. :)

I have decided to replace my X350.5 with a pair of XA160.5 in Aug. I have no means of audtioning thses amps but I feel they will provide cleaner, sweeter, and more low level detaile. Also giving more musical life, and reproducing greater soundstage width, depth and more air around the instruments. I figure I opt to the 160s so I have more then adequate power to drive the Summits without any deficiencies.

If anyone here interersted in purchasing my X350.5 just shoot me a PM. It is in pristine condition. No smoke or kids.

I have decided to replace my X350.5 with a pair of XA160.5 in Aug. I have no means of audtioning thses amps but I feel they will provide cleaner, sweeter, and more low level detaile. Also giving more musical life, and reproducing greater soundstage width, depth and more air around the instruments. I figure I opt to the 160s so I have more then adequate power to drive the Summits without any deficiencies.

If anyone here interersted in purchasing my X350.5 just shoot me a PM. It is in pristine condition. No smoke or kids.

Check this post of mine:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5083

You will be far better served with the XA than the X. The differences are astounding.

Pass Monos

I went this route over a year ago. Replaced the X350.5 with XA-100.5's which were plenty for my CLX's. Have not looked back. The 350 is a great amp but the Class A amps are sweeter without loss of detail or boday. Imaging also improved. They don't run terribly hot like the old ones did. There are numerous reviews (v. Rob Harley and Anthony Cordesman in TAS). If you have not yet committed to the 160's you might want to talk to Pass directly to see if you need the additional power.

Will, I have placed an order for a pair of Pass Labs XA160.5 Mono Blocks and the XP-20 preamp. When all setup I'll have pics on the way.

After spending a decent amount of time listening and allowing the new equipment to break-in, I'll report my findings. I’ll have pics up as soon as I have it all together.

I heard the 2 designs recently in the same system. The XA design has a better midrange, but to my ears, the X design sounds more real. When a drum or cymbals are cracked, they sound REAL on the X350.5. They sound syrupy and mushy on the XA series. The guys who like to run tubes in their systems will prefer the XA. Guys who like the control will prefer the X.

Just having heard some blues/ jazz just a few hours ago late into the night, the X is much more realistic sounding.

Not sure where you are at, but you may want to keep both, and swap them out.

Not sure where you are at, but you may want to keep both, and swap them out.

David, you obviously read Georges opening post and didn't go any further.......... his 'X' is gone and he's breaking in his new MonoBlocks.

As for the difference you speak between the two I myself beleive that to be more of an anomoly (I understand your ears are your ears) for you might just be the only person I recall saying the X series is more 'real' than the class A monoblocks.

As for the difference you speak between the two I myself beleive that to be more of an anomoly (I understand your ears are your ears) for you might just be the only person I recall saying the X series is more 'real' than the class A monoblocks.

Dave, I agree with you that all of us have different realism triggers. I just checked the Pass website, and they sell both the X.5 and the XA lines to trigger to those tastes. And the X line ain't cheap either! XA line sounds like tubes to me. I rarely enjoy tubes for more than 30-45 minutes as it sounds fake to me. The only exception was the $20K Atmaspheres on my Spires, which did not sound like SS or tubes - but just like music.

Freedom to choose is a great thing.

Happy 4th!

So far the sounds of drums I find are very tight, lots of energy but under control as not to dominate the rest of the sound spectrum. Cymbals are very clear not edgy, less digital and very pleasing to hear. I find that I feel much more involved in listening to the music more than to the system itself.

Back