Pass Labs XA60.5 Class A Monos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, assuming your comments reflect reality, then I would have to take issue with your last sentence...

Len,

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing - or let me clarify my assumptions. Nelson Pass is a hall of fame designer of amps -really among the best of the best. He is also a businessman that understands that different products cater to different individuals.

The Pass X.5 class is geared toward the typical solid state customer. XA.5 class is geared toward someone who has solid state "because the have to" and would like a "tube type sound" with an SS amp, using possible savings on electricity and tube replacement as a lure.

Another high end, luxury, experiential product such as these amps are luxury sport sedans. Mercedes is usually biased toward a luxurious ride. BMW stands for "feel the road" drivability. A few years ago, Mercedes released the CLS class. It exhibits many of the luxurious elements of the Mercedes E Class, but has a more sports tuned suspension and a bigger engine than a typical Mercedes E class. It also has very fashion conscious styling, more in what is found in an Audi. With this sedan in addition to their staple E class, Mercedes is hoping to snipe customers away from BMW and Audi.

There is no right or wrong here. Just as someone may choose a different car to drive across the country vs. taking on a curvy mountain road, someone has an option to purchase a different amp based on their needs. Of course, some fortunate folks will have both.

Len,

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing - or let me clarify my assumptions. Nelson Pass is a hall of fame designer of amps -really among the best of the best. He is also a businessman that understands that different products cater to different individuals.

The Pass X.5 class is geared toward the typical solid state customer. XA.5 class is geared toward someone who has solid state "because the have to" and would like a "tube type sound" with an SS amp, using possible savings on electricity and tube replacement as a lure.

Ah, allow me to clarify...

First off, I have the highest regard for Nelson Pass and his products. I hope these will be stopping by my home in the not-too-distant future.

What I was pointing at (a bit tongue-in-cheek) was that if Nelson Pass was indeed "a smart business man, and has both bases covered" then he would have figured out a way to combine the finest attributes of both the X.5 and the XA.5 into a single totally superior amplifier line.

I will confess to being something of a smart-a$$ with my comment, and certainly no offense or challenge was intended...

Ah, allow me to clarify...

First off, I have the highest regard for Nelson Pass and his products. I hope these will be stopping by my home in the not-too-distant future.

What I was pointing at (a bit tongue-in-cheek) was that if Nelson Pass was indeed "a smart business man, and has both bases covered" then he would have figured out a way to combine the finest attributes of both the X.5 and the XA.5 into a single totally superior amplifier line.

I will confess to being something of a smart-a$$ with my comment, and certainly no offense or challenge was intended...

No worries, I just did not pick up what you were saying. I don't think there is an SS amp like that yet. CJ Premier 350 is a good hybrid of the 2, but is not quite tubes.

Latest posts

Back