Pass Labs Sadness

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently sold my Pass Labs X600.5 mono blocks and this is what DHL did to them. Needless to say the buyer was less than happy.

As you all know these are big heavy amps that are very well built and holy cow that had to take quite a tumble. Oh yeah the both arrived damaged.

Attachments

• Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_01.jpg
    Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_01.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_03.jpg
    Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_03.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_06.jpg
    Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_06.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_08.jpg
    Amplifiers_Pss_Labs_08.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 416
DHL sucks !

I feel for you, Diamonds, the feeling must be disheartening...

I hope DHL will compensate you for such mishandling !

Take care,

WOW! I shipped my pass DHL to Cali and it was fine. Actually, the buyer wanted DHL as he uses them exclusively for his amps that he buys (100 pairs and counting). Yes, this guy is a nut case.

Anyway, what did DHL say and do?

OUCH!
250 do I hear 250, who'll give me 300?

Some days you just have to wonder. The few encounters I've had with the DHL folks have left me pretty underwhelmed. Who has the amps currently?
Recourse? Insurance? Sordid details?

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

I opened a claim with DHL and we shall see if they take care of the situtation. They are supposed to come look at the amps tomorrow at the buyers house at which time they will make a decision. I know I will take care of the buyer regardless because it is my responsibility. I will keep you all posted. :mad:

P.S. Each amp was insured for 5000 a piece. They better pay up!!! :mad:

Oh no! DHL shipped mine today as well

That is a heartbreaker.
Now I am stressed, my ML Vantages were picked up today in San Diego by DHL. Should be at my home in Colorado by Friday; hopefully in one piece. As well mine are insured.
Waiting to hear your outcome with them and the settlement.

Lee

Is the damage all cosmetic?

Unfortunately I think all of the carriers suck in their own special way. Fed-Ex stuck one of the arms from the fork lift into my Theater during shipping and would not cover it. UPS beat the hell out of Sunfire Signature Amp that I sold and since I had such a wonderful experience with Fed-Ex, I just ordered the replacements parts from Sunfire and sent them to the buyer on my dime. :banghead: With that being said, all of the carriers have made perfectly handled shipments also. The phrase crap-shoot comes to mind...HMMMM.....

Good Luck with DHL!

For products as large and as heavy as these, one should make a shipping crate (box fits inside the crate snugly) out of 2x4's and 1/4 to 1/2" plywood. Glue and nail appropriately and you have one sturdy shipping crate that even the fork lifts can get under (skids on bottom with 2x4's). I did this for my old Counterpoint Amp and never once had an issue with shipping it (It was shipped four times to California and back to the East Coast). The cost is very little (under $50) compared to the cost of problems you may encounter.

Is the damage all cosmetic?

Unfortunately I think all of the carriers suck in their own special way. Fed-Ex stuck one of the arms from the fork lift into my Theater during shipping and would not cover it. UPS beat the hell out of Sunfire Signature Amp that I sold and since I had such a wonderful experience with Fed-Ex, I just ordered the replacements parts from Sunfire and sent them to the buyer on my dime. :banghead: With that being said, all of the carriers have made perfectly handled shipments also. The phrase crap-shoot comes to mind...HMMMM.....

Good Luck with DHL!

The buyer is afraid to turn the on. Incase something is broken internal and they blow his speakers.

Man that really sucks...I've been watching those amps on this site and the Gon for a while until you announced these amps are sold!

They are very heavy and definetly took a good hit to shear the mounting screws from the front panel!

Hopefully the weight did not "rack" (twist or bend) the chassis causing undue stress to other mechanically mounted parts inside. I would even go as far as letting Pass go over them and passing that bill to the shipper if even possible.

That hurts (almost as bad as that skate boarder competitor taking that 45' fall) just treading about it!

Ugh, this sickens me. You ensure it up to 5 grand, tell it's fragile, but stickers saying that sensitive electronics are inside and go out of your way to pack it up as best you can and it still gets damaged.

I know if I end mailing something like that, I am going to treat it like a piece of antique furniture and crate that sucker. Let the wood snap instead of the amp.

Man that really sucks...I've been watching those amps on this site and the Gon for a while until you announced these amps are sold!

They are very heavy and definetly took a good hit to shear the mounting screws from the front panel!

Hopefully the weight did not "rack" (twist or bend) the chassis causing undue stress to other mechanically mounted parts inside. I would even go as far as letting Pass go over them and passing that bill to the shipper if even possible.

That hurts (almost as bad as that skate boarder competitor taking that 45' fall) just treading about it!

Yeah they are being sent back to Pass Labs today for a full check up. Now about the skateboarder...OUCH!!! How he walked off is beyond me.

Ugh, this sickens me. You ensure it up to 5 grand, tell it's fragile, but stickers saying that sensitive electronics are inside and go out of your way to pack it up as best you can and it still gets damaged.

I know if I end mailing something like that, I am going to treat it like a piece of antique furniture and crate that sucker. Let the wood snap instead of the amp.

They were insured at 5 grand a piece. We will see the outcome in the next few days.

I have found that

They were insured at 5 grand a piece. We will see the outcome in the next few days.
a very effective damage deterrent (for heavy amps speakers etc.) is to strap the box(es) to a wooden pallet which discourages dropping, throwing, forklift mishaps etc. I shipped a pair of 5 foot long 120# ea. Kinergetics woofer towers in their factory boxes, plus the x-ovr in another box to Scotland (FedEx) all strapped to a single pallet (by my shipper of course, not me) and they arrived without a scratch.

a very effective damage deterrent (for heavy amps speakers etc.) is to strap the box(es) to a wooden pallet which discourages dropping, throwing, forklift mishaps etc. I shipped a pair of 5 foot long 120# ea. Kinergetics woofer towers in their factory boxes, plus the x-ovr in another box to Scotland (FedEx) all strapped to a single pallet (by my shipper of course, not me) and they arrived without a scratch.

Doesn't palleting them increase the cost exponentially?

Doesn't palleting them increase the cost exponentially?

That is THE ONLY WAY they should be shipped, a pair of those babies weighs in around 400 lbs with crating I guess. I've been in the trans / frt business for a long time and that kind of wt. SHOULD be pallatized.

What's another hundred bucks against a five figure pair of amps ?? !!!!

BTW Diamonds , sorry for your troubles.

That is THE ONLY WAY they should be shipped, a pair of those babies weighs in around 400 lbs with crating I guess. I've been in the trans / frt business for a long time and that kind of wt. SHOULD be pallatized.

What's another hundred bucks against a five figure pair of amps ?? !!!!

BTW Diamonds , sorry for your troubles.

I know tha hindsight is 20/20 but this discussion is important since, at times, very heavy and expensive items are being shuttled about the country. I am wondering how much Diamonds paid for the DHL to have the amps shipped and I am also wondering how much more would it have cost to use some sort of freight servce instead. I bring that up because my mom is an interior designer and she has furniture shipped down to FL all of the time.

Something many fail to realize

is that we audiophiles, as individuals shipping gear, are in a much different situation than manufacturers shipping product to dealers; which can lead us to a false sense of security when we ship something in the "original factory packing materials" etc.

Audio Research, for example, has been shipping UPS Ground for as long as I can remember. Now you know that not every piece arrives at the dealer unscathed! But the dealer just returns it to ARC for a replacement; and ARC carries private coverage for such losses (in addition to what, as a good customer, they get back from UPS) and simply repairs or remanufactures the unit and sells it as new, or in many cases as a refurbished unit. Part of doing business.

Unfortunately, we are not in that same situation and must take additional precautions.

Latest posts

Back