Partners for M-L Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikvilja

Reaction score
Greetings!

Here goes my first post:

I have been enjoying Sources now for almost two months, they sound just amazing! They were the first major upgrade in my system, so now I would like to hear some opinions where to continue next. I have now the following (please don't puke...):

-AudioQuest speaker cables (bought with speakers. Don't remember the model though. Blue, bi-wired inside, looks nice... ;-) )
-Technics SA-DX1050 (about 5 years old 5.1 amp, 100w per channel for 6 ohms.
-PS3

I know the player and amp are not on level with Sources but I have to start somewhere, right?

I don't have fortunes to spend on partnering, so I am looking something descent but but not really expensive.

I have been offered the following integrated 2-ch amps:
-Cyrus 8vs2
-Exposure 3010s

Any comments on those or proposal for something better? :D

Greetings!

Here goes my first post:

I don't have fortunes to spend on partnering, so I am looking something descent but but not really expensive.
Welcome to the board. You should state your budget if you want some recommendations.

First: Grotto subwoofer.
Next: Scoop up a nice 150 Wpc amp on the 'Gon. McCormack DNA-1 is sick-sounding and cheap (relatively).
Third: Don't worry about cables or other "fine tuning" items until you have settled on a solid foundation.

My thoughts only !!

Happy listening, and treat those Logans nice !!

~VDR

Last edited:
Fourth: Stay away from receivers and integrateds with Logans. Better to use the pre-outs on your receiver to a good, strong, meaty amp. Your ears can thank me later....:D

~VDR

Thanks for your replys!

I don't have really defined the budget but I think I am looking at something like 1500-2500 dollars for amplification. Is it enough for pre and power amp?

I have seen power amps that would put less than 100w per channel, when M-L recommends 100-200w amplifier. Should I not even think about an amp with less than 100w per channel?

Oh yes, I forgot to list what music I play. It's a big variety from classical to metal, also softer and acustical music, sometimes even chill-out.

Thanks for your replys!

I don't have really defined the budget but I think I am looking at something like 1500-2500 dollars for amplification. Is it enough for pre and power amp?

If you don't mind buying used gear, you should be able to get a pretty good 2-channel amp for under $2500. Heck, if you shop around, you could probably pick up some decent monoblocks for that kind of cabbage.

Look at Sunfire, Carver, Monarch, Classe, Bryston, and if you are REALLY lucky you might find a small Plinius used for that price. Stay away from anything with a badge you would see in Best Buy or the like--most "consumer brand" amps just don't have what it takes to drive MLs.

When it comes to Martin Logans, "watts" don't really mean crap. It's all about CURRENT, and the ability to steadily drive a signal into impossibly-low impedance. A lower-watt rated amp with very stable power supply and high current will actually sound WAY BETTER than some consumer-grade crap with hundreds of watts, but no ability to remain stable into loads below 8ohms.

I drive my Scenerios (which are very similar to the Source, IMO) with a Carver M-500t, and they sound delightful. It's rated for 250WPC, but it will stay stable down to 2 ohms, driving it HARD...

--Richard

Look for a used Plinius integrated on the Gon.

Past models had 150W / channel. The newer ones have 200 per side.

Supposed to be a phenomenal unit that can drive the ML's and should be close to your budget target.

GG.

Speaking of 150w integrateds, I'd recommend staying away from the Krell KAV-300i. I have one, and although it is a VERY good preamp, those 150 watts are NOT traditional Krell watts. It sounds pretty good driving small, efficient book-self speakers (it makes my little Celestions SING), but it just doesn't have enough "umph" to really drive my Sequels, and only does marginally better with my Scenerios. Makes a great preamp though--lots of inputs, VERY quiet noise floor, and the build-quality is typical Krell--this little unit weighs something like 28lbs. If you're going to use the pre-outs to drive some other external amp, it will serve you well for a 2-channel preamp. But to paraphrase that Oldsmobile ad, it's "NOT your father's Krell" in the amp department... ;)

--Richard

Back