Painting an amplifier?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielAdler

Reaction score
This is a question which I've looked and looked for answers, yet still can't find one straight opinion. My question is: If you have an older amplifier, and you want to repair scuff marks/scratches in the paint, can you use a metallic-bonding paint as touchup, or do you need something else that would deal well with heat?

So yeah... I guess the simple version is- Does heat play a large factor in touching up an amp with paint?

Thanks much!

So yeah... I guess the simple version is- Does heat play a large factor in touching up an amp with paint?

Thanks much!

How hot does the amp get in use? But I imagine that heat wouldn't be an issue for external parts. I would think that flesh would start burning long before paint, and that wouldn't be good for the amp maker's business!

Simple answer: No.

But I'm having a hard time imagining a touch-up job looking nice using paint on scuffs and scratches. I've used a Sharpie for small nicks. Can it be stripped and repainted?

I would by any means avoid touching heatsinks with paint!

I guess the real answer is "it depends"...

I mean if you have an old Levinson or Krell, then you might want to use some sort of paint (or powdercoat or even anodizing) that would stand up to extreme temps. Older tube amps migh have an issue with "regular" paint too--some of those old ARC units get downright toasty, and CAN burn your fingers when you run them hard...

But if you've got a Carver or a Sunfire, you could probably touch them up with model paint and they would be OK.

If they are REALLY scratched up, you might consider stripping the scratched panels and having them powder coated. I've seen some vintage amp restoration projects that were powder coated and they looked STELLAR.

But if it's the faceplate that needs touched up, you've got to worry about the branding and control markings. If you strip that off, you're going to need to have it printed back on somehow after refinishing, and that's going to mean having a silkscreen made, and finding someone who is willing to do a one-off silkscreen print on something weird like an amplifier faceplate, which can get pricey--not because it's difficult (it's not), but because it is a HUGE annoyance for the average silkscreen shop to do one-off work. They will quote you 3-5 times their standard per-piece rate, just to try and make you stop bothering them...

Tell us what sort of amp you have, and maybe post some pics of the scratched areas, and then we can better assess what your best options are.

--Richard

Its a Sumo Polaris (mk 1), and I'll try to get some pictures up here of it soon. Probably monday or tuesday, if I get the time. Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to wait a bit longer before I decide what to do. Time, money and access to facilities is limited at the moment.

Dave hit the nail on the head here. There is paint you can get to paint your engine block of your motorcycle, which gets WAAAY hotter than an amplifier.

I think that may be the best way to go too, since its really just touch ups in a few places where there are a series of scratches (including on the external heat sinks). I'll look into it!

Once again thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Back