Our Favorite Jazz Instruments

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting replys, keep them coming !

FWIW, I find it interesting that no one, except me, has listed drums/percussion in their top three ! Is it because Jazz tends to 'showcase' so many other instruments with drums being the 'background fill' keeping time and tempo ?

I think there is nothing any more exciting than to listen to a great drums solo, but there is usually so much going on that I prefer it in less amounts than say, a sax solo. I find that I listen to my Buddy Rich only ocasionally. That being said, good drumming is a key ingredient to a lot of good jazz, IMHO.

I don't know of a trio, let alone sextet, for you amey. However, I would look towards flutist James Newton as he played with all kinds of ensembles. The problem is that some of his recordings can be very tough to find.

The only cello stuff I've really ever seen was by Ray Brown. I'd imagine with some digging around you might find him playing cello with Ellla, since they were married for a while.

Violin? I still remember the day Stefan Grappelli died, sad to lose such a charasmatic musician. The old Hot Club stuff has really awful SQ, but he does have a much more recent 85th bday concert at Carnegie Hall, with the Rosenberg Trio as the opening act. The Rosenberg brothers were cloned from Django, no doubt about it, freaking shred-mongers. Anyways, Grappelli first learned to play violin in a movie theater!

For male vocalists, Im a little surprised Kurt Elling has not been mentioned. I don't know of any peers.

My favorite insturments? hmrz... today I would say...
Piano
Sax (all of them)
Bass

my favorite jazz musician of all time, period, is Charles Mingus. If only because he is the most contrapuntal jazz musician that I know of. Favorite sax player is tougher, Id probably say Michael Brecker, who I was fortunate to see during a Coltrane tribute with Han****, Patatucci, Hargrove, Blade (one of my favorite drummers) before his unexpected and sad death. He's just ridiculous. Pianist? hmmmrrzz maybe the Duke.

p.s. funny that Herbie Han****'s name is censored...

Thanks! Searching for some James Newton stuff now!

On that note, my favorite vocal jazz artist is Ella ( Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie; Mack the Knife: Ella in Berlin; and any of the songbook series Gershwin , Porter, etc.) with Sarah Vaughan and Mary Stallings in hot pursuit. On the male side Jimmy Rushing is great and so is Mel Torme.

Can't find fault with that list and I would also add Johnny Hartman.

FWIW, I find it interesting that no one, except me, has listed drums/percussion in their top three ! Is it because Jazz tends to 'showcase' so many other instruments with drums being the 'background fill' keeping time and tempo ?

Not sure, not sure. I love drums - absolutely love them, and as already said, nothing is more exciting than a drum solo. I guess it is just that as you say - they are the background "fill" on everything, they are a little passé.

That said, I love the sax, trumpet et al. too, but they too are passé - that's why I went for more unique (and I guess avantgarde) jazz instruments such as the violin and flute.

This is easy:

Piano
Double Bass
Drums

Favorite example: Jacques Lousier trio – especially on multichannel SACD.

This is easy:

Piano
Double Bass
Drums

Favorite example: Jacques Lousier trio – especially on multichannel SACD.

Ah...... Jonathan, I too love that combo !
For me:
Beegie Adair - piano
Roger Spencer - bass
Chris Brown - drums

FWIW, I find it interesting that no one, except me, has listed drums/percussion in their top three ! ............
I like drums, but only when I listen to them live. You seem to lose so much of the impact when listening to them reproduced. I really love to listen to drums in a marching band live; the impact as they hit you in the chest is great.

I like drums, but only when I listen to them live. You seem to lose so much of the impact when listening to them reproduced. I really love to listen to drums in a marching band live; the impact as they hit you in the chest is great.

Bernard, you need to swing by my place and hear some drum work on my system. it's pretty realistic. More so now that the room is not coloring the sound as much. :cool:

That impact to the chest is all mid-bass energy, which I've been working diligently on for a few years to achieve realistic levels of.

Bernard, you need to swing by my place and hear some drum work on my system. it's pretty realistic. More so now that the room is not coloring the sound as much. :cool:

That impact to the chest is all mid-bass energy, which I've been working diligently on for a few years to achieve realistic levels of.
OK, thanks. I'll consider that an invitation any time I'm in your area. :bowdown:

Voice
Piano
Saxophone
Acoustic Guitar

The voice, properly presented, has always been the most beautiful instrument to listen to.

Wondering how many know that the saxophone was considered a minor, niche instrument before jazz made it popular.

Wondering how many know that the saxophone was considered a minor, niche instrument before jazz made it popular.

Very few instrumental composers wrote for the sax as it was developed for military bands. Jazz musicians took it up and English composers of the early 20th century such as Holst and Grainger wrote parts for it, mostly in band music.

Back