Oppo BDP-83

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money is tight and you're buying a new Ferrari, and you're trying to keep the 430 along with the new one. Yeah, I'm buying that!

I don't really care for multichannel for a number of reasons, but again that doesn't mean it's bad. There are plenty of other magazines with excellent multichannel coverage.

Our job is to review new products. That doesn't mean you have to buy them all...

If you have a system you are happy with, enjoy it. The new Sim piece is on the way and considering what I've heard from them in the past, I'm very anxious to hear it.

Money's tight. I'm still laughing my butt off over that one....

Oh yeah, have you seen the new MSRP on the 458? Money has never been tighter and just like the CLX I have to get in the garage without my wife noticing, she still hasn't noticed the CLXs.

I am going to be scraping for next 12 or maybe 24 months, it is a sad state of affairs.:eek:

And as far as the OPPO goes, I am afraid if I sneak one more OPPO in the door, I will get busted and then sneaking the 458 in will become impossible.

Stakes are high, morals are low, how are you going to help the cause today. Actually, I like Dr. Js approach, ask for money.:D:D

How will you "Sneak" a 300 thousand dollar car in the garage? I take it your wife has no control or access to your finances. And she didn't notice a pair of CLX's and two subwoofers? I remember years ago when I tried to sneak Vandersteen 2Ce's in past my wife when she went out of town for a weekend (we had 1c's at the time) and she noticed immediately.

I guess if buying a $500 CD player will blow the Ferrari deal, I'd do without it.

Glad I don't have those problems to deal with....

Yes, depending what you then put it thru for playback. In your system I would say that playback will be descernably, but marginally better.

I have a BDP 083 playing through an Integra DTC 9.8 to an Aragon 5 channel amp to Klipsch reference speakers, and I don't think the DAC Magic would make any improvement in the analog sound of that system, however, in my 2 channel rig, which is considerably more HIGH END it would make a considerable difference.

I would add that I think Dr. J is referring to the standard OPPO BDP83 and not the new BDP83SE which has the new 32 bit ESS Technology’s state-of-the-art Sabre DAC. Simaudio has built a $11,000 transport incorporating that DAC, my guess is that the new 32 bit Sabre DAC is quite a bit, (no pun intended) better than the DAC Magic, at least I would certainly hope so.:D

Bottom line, if you are going to use the OPPO for Music in addition to movies then you can benefit from a DAC, either internal or external. If you want an "all-in-one" then get the best internal DAC for the OPPO that you can afford. I would guess that putting the DAC Magic cost of addition and adding that to the cost of the base OPPO BDP83 you could afford to get the BDP83 SE with the better internal Sabre DAC.

Don't forget, besides the cost of the DAC Magic, you have to add interconnects and vibration control which could up your cost to the point of getting a OPPO/Nuforce BDP83SE:eek:

How will you "Sneak" a 300 thousand dollar car in the garage? I take it your wife has no control or access to your finances. And she didn't notice a pair of CLX's and two subwoofers? I remember years ago when I tried to sneak Vandersteen 2Ce's in past my wife when she went out of town for a weekend (we had 1c's at the time) and she noticed immediately.

I guess if buying a $500 CD player will blow the Ferrari deal, I'd do without it.

Glad I don't have those problems to deal with....

It's a gift I guess, it is a big garage and she never goes down to the other end. That is where all the Vintage motorcycles are, which she hates, so park something red next to the bikes and you have at least 6 months to a year before anything gets noticed.

The CLXs and Descent i are downstairs in the man cave, she almost never goes down there because that is where my Stereo stuff is and she hates that stuff. She won't even send the MerryMaids down there, so I have to clean and vacuum the Man Cave myself. See a pattern hear, here?

It really is not a bad burden to bare......but I know my limits, she has noticed new boats, planes and buildings!:eek:

Thanks!

Ooooh good point about the SE version...

A regular BDP-83 + DACMagic = $928 seems like a no brainer to go with the SE I suppose!

Although another reason I was going to go for an external DAC was to also be able to plug in my 'puter as well to play FLAC files.... hmmmm

BTW ... :drool: on your Ferrari conundrum ;)

I thought I saw on the AVS Forum that you could plug a USB into the BDP83SE or maybe the Nuforce/OPPO BDP83SE, unfortunately I am old and most of what I read I do not retain well, kind of like water and beer.:D

Lexicon BD30

Hmmmm.... sounds awfully familiar!

Lexicon BD-30
Providing unparalleled video quality, the BD-30 incorporates Anchor Bay’s award-winning Video Reference Series (VRS) technology, and delivers a picture that is cleaner, smoother, true-to-life and free of artifacts. With exceptional picture and sound quality along with fast loading and response times, the BD-30 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience.

Complete Media Support: Blu-ray Disc, BonusVIEW, BD-Live™, DVD Up-Conversion, DVD-Audio, SACD, and Additional Media Formats
Unparalleled Video Quality: VRS™ by Anchor Bay, Full HD 1080p Output, True 24p™ Video, Source Direct Mode, Multiple Zoom Modes, and HDMI
High Fidelity Audio: Dolby® TrueHD, DTS®-HD, 7.1-Channel Analog Output, Dedicated Stereo Output, and Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs
Ultimate Convenience: Dual USB Ports, PAL/NTSC Conversion, Back-lit Remote Control, Universal Power Supply, External IR, RS232 Control, and HDMI CEC

..................and only $3,500.....
better? Don't doubt it ... seven(7!!) times better...:ROFL: Doubt it :)

Hmmmm.... sounds awfully familiar!

Lexicon BD-30
Providing unparalleled video quality, the BD-30 incorporates Anchor Bay’s award-winning Video Reference Series (VRS) technology, and delivers a picture that is cleaner, smoother, true-to-life and free of artifacts. With exceptional picture and sound quality along with fast loading and response times, the BD-30 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience.

Complete Media Support: Blu-ray Disc, BonusVIEW, BD-Live™, DVD Up-Conversion, DVD-Audio, SACD, and Additional Media Formats
Unparalleled Video Quality: VRS™ by Anchor Bay, Full HD 1080p Output, True 24p™ Video, Source Direct Mode, Multiple Zoom Modes, and HDMI
High Fidelity Audio: Dolby® TrueHD, DTS®-HD, 7.1-Channel Analog Output, Dedicated Stereo Output, and Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs
Ultimate Convenience: Dual USB Ports, PAL/NTSC Conversion, Back-lit Remote Control, Universal Power Supply, External IR, RS232 Control, and HDMI CEC

..................and only $3,500.....
better? Don't doubt it ... seven(7!!) times better...:ROFL: Doubt it :)

There's a thread over at AVS on the Lexicon:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166176&highlight=lexicon

I have not read though it, but I know there is talk about comparisons to the Oppo.

good to know guys, for if I have the funds in order to update my family room HT set-up this fall / winter the BDP-83 is high on my list !

Well after winning the football pool this past week I treated myself to an early X-mas gift, it arrived today, I don't know that I've ever seen a better packaged piece of gear, regardless of origin.

Might just be the best $500 piece of A/V gear I have ever purchased !

Enjoy, Dave! It's definitely a winner!

BTW, I just got the Blu-ray Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concert today, with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Berlin Philharmonic, and featuring Anne-Sophie Mutter. That's the first Classical concert I've added to my collection, and it's absolutely stunning!

Last edited:
Ditto

Well after winning the football pool this past week I treated myself to an early X-mas gift, it arrived today, I don't know that I've ever seen a better packaged piece of gear, regardless of origin.

Might just be the best $500 piece of A/V gear I have ever purchased !

I purchased one of these also a couple of weeks back ... couldn't be happier! Good stuff!

Are any of you guys running multichannel analog outs straight to a preamp/receiver? I'm interested to know if the sound quality from the non-"SE" player is comprable to or better than my current setup. I'm currently running a Panasonic BD50 bluray and a Denon 2910 for CD and SACD. The Oppo would let me take 2 pieces of equipment down to 1, but I would like some opinion on whether it is really worth the extra $400 for the SE. My preamp has no HDMI so I will be using analog out for 2 channel music and bluray.

I'm interested to know if the sound quality from the non-"SE" player is comprable to or better than my current setup. I'm currently running a Panasonic BD50 bluray and a Denon 2910 for CD and SACD. .........I would like some opinion on whether it is really worth the extra $400 for the SE. My preamp has no HDMI so I will be using analog out for 2 channel music and bluray.

These are both somewhat subjective and depend largely on what you are using for playback. I have a Denon 2910 that I was using for SACD in my dedicated theater room until I got the Oppo (non SE). The Oppo is at least equal to it's analog output. The catch here is that my playback system, while excellent..(an Integra DTC 9.8>Aragon 3005>Klipsch RF63s) isn't really stellar for audio only. If I spent the extra $400 in that room I probably wouldn't get a good return on my $$, However, if I added an 83 to my audio only system for 2 channel SACD (something I AM contemplating) I would definitly spring for the $400 because the differences would likely be significantly audible.

The answer to the third question (the one that wasn't asked...but I'm giving an answer to anyway) is that you should go ahead and purchase the BDP 83 in stock format. If unsatisfied with the performance long term, then you can have Oppo upgrade it. Who knows, maybe you will invest in an HDMI preamp and then the whole thing becomes moot.

Count me in!

I just replaced both a Denon 2910 as well as a Sony PS3 with the Oppo BDP-83. WOW! Best picture I've seen in my own home and it sounds great on both Redbook and SACD within the context of my rather meger home theater. No regrets, this thing is a keeper, and as others have mentioned, the level of packaging and documentation could make many a High End company blush.

I'm a happy camper!

Attachments

• Oppo Blu-Ray.jpg
    Oppo Blu-Ray.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 175
congrats tim! but you should have held out for the lexicon.;^P

so are you planning to sell the denon?

Last edited:
congrats tim! but you should have held out for the lexicon.;^P

so are you planning to sell the denon?

Uh, yeah, like I said my HT is pretty meger - especially in comparison to my 2 channel rig, so the Oppo is plenty good for my needs. I haven't seen or heard the Lexicon, but I have experienced the Ayre. If were more of a Home Theater guy I'd actually consider the Ayre - it looked and sounded great at RMAF this year. I've never really been much of a Lexicon fan.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the 2910. I have a third set-up in my loft where I'm using my old Sony DVP-S9000ES. Since the Sony doesn't have HDMI, I may put the Denon up there and move the Sony into the listening room to serve as an additional transport.

Last edited:
Sounds like we are in almost the exact same situation. I just bought the BD-P83 and now I have a Denon 2910 and Sony DVPS9000ES to sell. I am enjoying mine as well.

Latest posts

Back