Opinions on XRCD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Just wondering what y'all think about the high-res XRCD mastered recordings, which (unlike SACD or DVD-A) can be played on ANY Redbook CD player, or ripped for server playback.

Last year I had bought a few titles (Lightnin' Hopkins Goin' Away, Patricia Barber Companion, and Jazz at the Pawnshop) but it appeared that JVC was stopping further production.

Now, JVC has apparently licensed the mastering technology to a number of smaller audiophile labels (FIM, Three Blind Mice, others), and elusivedisc.com has taken over as the North American distributor, with a number of new remasters of old recordings.

I just bought Jacintha Autumn Leaves, and Gary Karr Super Double-bass, which sound superb, albeit pricey ($30+ ea).

Has anybody done a comparison of XRCD titles, vs. SACD (or DVD-A) versions of the same material.

How do they compare? Do you feel the XRCD's are worth the extra $$?

Last edited:
Hey Sleepy...

I have two XRCD samplers. They are both wonderful recordings, but they were VERY expensive.

I've never done an A/B test with them because I don't have any other recordings by the artists on them.

I think it was JVC's foray into a DVD-A or SACD type "super CD" and it didn't work. Not many titles and they're 40 bucks a pop.

Tom.

Last edited:
I'll try to find some local Tampa Bay Listening Society folks to set up a head-to-head challenge. Only problem is we'll need a Universal Redbook/SACD player to do a fair comparison, and even then, the volumes for each stream need to be be standardized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Universal Redbook/SACD player to do a fair comparison, and even then, the volumes for each stream need to be be standardized.

What is a Redbook CD and what kind of player can play these? I know my Rotel and my Pioneer changer too I think and my Sony DVD changer can do the SACD and DVD-A (well, maybe the Pioneer does not do that one), but I don't know if ANY of them can do a Redbook CD. What is the benefit? Can you play them in your car or on a regular CD player too? I have seen them referenced here several times, but have never looked into what these are...

A redbook CD is merely a regular CD (non DVD-A nor SACD).

A redbook CD is merely a regular CD (non DVD-A nor SACD).

Nor anything different like XRCD either I take it? So what is the benefit? Is it a CD that has been properly recorded and mastered for maximum use of the available bandwidth and thus actually SOUNDS better?

Nor anything different like XRCD either I take it? So what is the benefit? Is it a CD that has been properly recorded and mastered for maximum use of the available bandwidth and thus actually SOUNDS better?

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think "redbook cd" refers to *all* compact discs (at least those that aren't high-rez or have some other special properties).

I have a few XRCDs. All are from Japan and all sound wonderful. I have done some A/B testing between songs, and I can attest to the fidelity improvement of the XRCD. $30.00 is a high price for a single CD but I find it to be worth the money. I just do not understand why XRCDs are so hard to find and why the selection is so limited?

*rant on*

So based on that, WHY BOTHER TO NOTE "Redbook" CD?! Is it to much trouble to write CD, or Audio CD...I think most folks would get it; where writing "Redbook CD" is going to be confusing for some people on this list (like me, but not anymore) and probably the majority of people NOT on this or other lists like this one... SACD is obvious, you MUST note that because it won't even play on a regular CD player (as I recall), and of course DVD-A is obvious too, but saying "Redbook" is just confusing and a bit verbose and elitist.

Ok, rant off...

Interestingly, there is also a wikipedia page on Martin-Logan, AND, it has a link to our esteemed club!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Logan

I wonder who did that?
sneaky.gif

better to support HDCD

than to pay high prices for the XRCD's, which BTW do not have an extensive contemporary catalog. Most of their classical catalog consists of older performances (Reiner, Ormandy, etc.)

Many contemporary recordings in all major musical categories are being produced in HDCD, and except for Reference Recordings, sell alongside regular CD's at all retailers for the same price.

As consumers, we should insist that CD players (high or low priced) have DACs with HDCD chips. Their quality is stunning. They even perform beautifully through non-HDCD DACS that are software-based, such as Wadia. Levinson DACs have special Levinson-designed/built HDCD decoding chips which I understand are the best of all.

And since Microsoft just bought Pacific Microsonics (HDCD) you know the process will be around for awhile.

*rant on*

So based on that, WHY BOTHER TO NOTE "Redbook" CD?! Is it to much trouble to write CD, or Audio CD...I think most folks would get it...

Actually, in my experience reading other audio forums, "Redbook CD" is increasingly used to differentiate generic 16 bit 44.1 kHz from all other high-res formats. Sorry you weren't familiar with the term.

Actually, in my experience reading other audio forums, "Redbook CD" is increasingly used to differentiate generic 16 bit 44.1 kHz from all other high-res formats. Sorry you weren't familiar with the term.

My experience also, Sleepy. It immediately tells you that it's a regular CD..

*rant on*

So based on that, WHY BOTHER TO NOTE "Redbook" CD?! Is it to much trouble to write CD, or Audio CD...I think most folks would get it; where writing "Redbook CD" is going to be confusing for some people on this list (like me, but not anymore) and probably the majority of people NOT on this or other lists like this one... SACD is obvious, you MUST note that because it won't even play on a regular CD player (as I recall), and of course DVD-A is obvious too, but saying "Redbook" is just confusing and a bit verbose and elitist.

Ok, rant off...

How about RBCD? :rocker:

I'll try to find some local Tampa Bay Listening Society folks to set up a head-to-head challenge. Only problem is we'll need a Universal Redbook/SACD player to do a fair comparison, and even then, the volumes for each stream need to be be standardized.

My transport plays both RB and SA. If you like, we can do the head-to-head at my house. I like both SACD and XRCD about the same. SACD has a little more resolution. :cool:

XRCD is lovely.If you like jazz buy patricia barber,jakintha,tsuyoshi yamamoto trio,salena jones and the 3 samplers of FIM XRCD and you will be blown away by the sound quality that the martin logan produce with these recordings.
The diference is huge !!!The only problem is their price,but you don't have to wonder because there are only about 50 titles that really deserve your attention...
I prefer xrcd by fim but jvc is also fine

SO, the next question... Are there ANY high-res formats that are just called CD? Aren't ALL the high res CD's XRCD, SACD, and DVD-A? Am I missing something here? Still seems like they should just be called CD's...

SO, the next question... Are there ANY high-res formats that are just called CD? Aren't ALL the high res CD's XRCD, SACD, and DVD-A? Am I missing something here? Still seems like they should just be called CD's...

Yes, you're missing HDCD, which I already mentioned :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back