Onkyo pro PR-SC886P

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola amigos...I am just about to buy this unit...you can see it at www.onkyopro.com does anybody have anything to say about it?...the unit is brand new, and offers a lot of the new gadget for HT. It is a preamplifier for HT. Thanks in advance for your help...
Roberto.

Hola amigos...I am just about to buy this unit...you can see it at www.onkyopro.com does anybody have anything to say about it?...the unit is brand new, and offers a lot of the new gadget for HT. It is a preamplifier for HT. Thanks in advance for your help...
Roberto.

As a pre, what amps are you going to use? Will you be using the balanced outputs?

As a pre, what amps are you going to use? Will you be using the balanced outputs?
Hola Wardsweb, I have an Audio Research VT-100 MKII driving my CLSIIz, a Bryston 2B Bridge, for my Motif center channel, and a McIntosch 2105 for my rear. I do not know if I want to use balanced cables...some of you like them a lot, to my poor ears, still like single ended. This unit offers a lot of different options that I did not have before. I was using a modified Sherwood R-965 and I was really happy with it...then, the wife came with a nice present, a 50 inch plasma Panasonic, and now I am in trouble. Just started to see and listen blue-ray dvds, and the picture quality is very good. The sound? Right now I have a mess, and I have to make my mind and choose if I want to be into HDMI or not.
Part of the reason of changing my Sherwood is the lack of HDMI connectors. I am using HDMI for video only...I can hear the difference between cables, so still I am into coax digital connection. Component video is very nice too, but the version of the HDMI is 1.3 at this Onkyo, and I do like that...well, will post later how my new project is doing, happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola,

This looks like a 2009 version of my Integra 9.8 pre/pro. (also made by Onkyo)

Mine has a few quirks (design compromises) but all in all I am very happy with it. It does HT very well and not too shabby at 2ch if you use the internal DACs. I do not use the analog in as they go through a A->D / processor / D->A. and that rubs me the wrong way.

Mated with the new plamsa TV I think you are going to be very happy. If you do not already have a good blu-ray take a look at the Oppo, it mates up with the Onkyo processors very well via HDMI.

I run an Onkyo with Oppo 83 and a 52" Samsung. You will really want to go HDMI to get the best out of the Onkyo. I was blown away the first time I listened to my system with the Oppo and Onkyo. For the first time, I could tell all the speakers were being put to use to give me a soundstage and depth of field that put me right in the middle. Wait until you hear some HD audio...wow!

Many user reviews say the unit's 2 channel performance is dreadful which for me is unacceptable. Reading through my post you might see a general dislike of onkyo mostly due to bad 2 channel performance leading me too look at the Marantz PM8003 as my eventual HDMI 1.3 capable pre-amp (shopping for a used one as we speak) in the sub $2500 retail category. If you can expand your budget look at Anthem AVM50V (around 5k) or Arcam has a new unit as well, and at the top end the Denon reference AVP model (jonfo's unit) or the Anthem statement D2v (Tom's pre), and finally Krell's new unit (havent heard a thing) in the 7k range.

I would add a second vote for the Marantz AV-8003 if you can find one in your price range. It doesn't have all the toys that the Onkyo has, but it has enough of them (at least for me), and based on what I have read, it does sound a bit better than the Onkyo.

thanks for the input...

Hola chicos...thanks a lot for all the inputs that I got from you. Here in Costa Rica, service is very important. Onkyo has a very good reputation...so this is why I asked you. On the other hand, all the most known brands offers about the same things about connections and features. I am going to start with Onkyo, and in the path, I will tell you how I am doing with it. Again, thanks a lot for your help!...Regards from Costa Rica, and I wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Outlaw Audio just announced that they are a seller, for < $1700.00

Hello,
I have used a DTC-9.8 for a couple of years now and really think it is a wonderful product.

There really is not an area where the 9.9/886 is lacking in regards to connectivity and features. The ability to incorporate Audyssey Pro can make a stunning difference in a room as well. In addition, the Reon video processing is excellent.

There seems to be a great deal of bias against Onkyo. However, I really think they turned a corner with their HDMI 1.3 offerings in 2007. Most professional reviews of the 9.8/9.9 have been quite complimentary. Here is Stereophile's Kalman Rubinson's take on the 9.8: http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/108mitr/
There are tons more reviews out there of it as well including comprehensive measurements.

I do not find 2 Channel performance to be terrible by any stretch. However, I would not say that 2 channel is the best aspect of it. In addition, a pure direct mode is offered bypassing all DSP, etc.

The DTC-9.8/885 and DTR 9.9/886 represented a paradigm shift in surround processors. Never before had such a comprehensive feature set been offered in a prepro at that price. It has been a wildly successful offering. I realize that many will always equate Onkyo with mid fi. However, objectively the features and performance offered is stunning considering the price.
Cheers,
ML

I do not find 2 Channel performance to be terrible by any stretch. However, I would not say that 2 channel is the best aspect of it. In addition, a pure direct mode is offered bypassing all DSP, etc.

I've had a DTC 9.8 in my theater since its introduction two and a half years ago. While it will never compete with my BAT VK 31SE I can't say it's terrible in 2 channel with a decent source. However, if one tries to use the built in MM phono pre one is in for a real dissapointment by comparison to a $1000 stand alone phono pre, but that's not what Onkyo intended in this "swiss army knife" device.

Back