One of my Sequels is sick :(

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called ML today, and asked about replacemen woofers for Sequels. They told me that indeed, they do have original paper-cone woofers for Sequels in stock, and they are $135 each (plus shipping), and that included the filter cap installed at the factory.

You will have to solder them into your speakers yourself, because the Sequels have hard-wired connections on the woofer. So for $135, you'd get a new woofer and a new filter cap, so it should sound pretty good...

It's a little more than I originally stated on a previous post. But for $270, you'd have a brand-new pair of OEM speakers, not some third-party driver that may or may not be a perfect match. And that can only INCREASE th resale value of your MLs, if you ever get the urge to sell them.

--Richard

Alas I have Sequel IIs and they are a poly-cone woofer. I doubt replacements would cost much more though :)

No I imagine they cost pretty much the same. I think the big price jump os when you get into the Aluminum-cone woofers. They are substantially more expensive, but none of the Sequels had those. Heck, for all I know, the speakers they quoted me on MIGHT have been Polys. I didn't even ask. Iassumed all Sequels used the laminated paper cones like my Original Sequals...

--Richard

No I imagine they cost pretty much the same. I think the big price jump os when you get into the Aluminum-cone woofers. They are substantially more expensive, but none of the Sequels had those. Heck, for all I know, the speakers they quoted me on MIGHT have been Polys. I didn't even ask. Iassumed all Sequels used the laminated paper cones like my Original Sequals...

--Richard

Warning, there are two flavors of Sequels, the originals with ported woofers, and the Sequel II with an acoustic suspension design. Very different drivers for each.

Best bet is to call the factory with your serial numbers, and they'll ensure you get the right stuff.

-----------

As an aside, the more I consider what to do about my sequel Woofers, the more I lean towards the line array thing. The thought of three equal speakers across the front is just too tempting. Plus the results of the Sequel/SL3 panel and 4' line array are just too good to ignore.

So, Monoliths as rears, a bit overkill, but what the hey... :eek:

Last edited:
As an aside, the more I consider what to do about my sequel Woofers, the more I lean towards the line array thing. The thought of three equal speakers across the front is just too tempting. Plus the results of the Sequel/SL3 panel and 4' line array are just too good to ignore.

So, Monoliths as rears, a bit overkill, but what the hey... :eek:

Go for it! :rocker:

--Richard

No real reason they need to be. You can get aluminum cone woofers for pretty cheap as well. Aluminium is better at some things, but there are a lot of GREAT subs out there that are treated paper. (a lot of the best)

Well special "rubber, plastic, pvc" super glue did NOT hold. I'm glad I didn't put everything back together :p

I'm going to try some fancy epoxy tonight. Wish me luck!

When I discussed getting my woofers replaced because the cardboard rig on one woofer was loose, they told me to re-glue it with silicone sealer. They said it would hold just fine...

--Richard

Well they are fixed! I ended up using "Shoe Goo" as it dries into a more stiff solid than silicon sealer.

After having the speaker apart I realize how BAD the foam-stuff that holds the ESL and woofer grill on is. Looks like that project needs to be addressed sooner rather than later :(

Back