One more newbie and three questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpeak

Reaction score
Hello to everybody!
This is my first post abroad and I’m a little excited..
Actually, I’m much more excited since I’m about to buy my first M.L. loudspeakers, a pair of Summit!!!
I should get them new at a very good price, but still have many doubts about the whole stuff, and try to summarize most troubling questions:
1) my listening room is 18' x 16' (I know, almost badly squared!). Is it too small for Summit loudspeakers?
2) I’m aware that experiencing is everything for audiophiles but, as a good starting point, what should the distance of the panel be from the rear wall?
3) I’ve seen someone places absorbers/diffusers on the wall just behind the loudspeaker panels. Again as a good starting point, should those be more absorbing or diffusing sound?
Thank you a lot!
Roberto

Hello to everybody!
This is my first post abroad and I’m a little excited..
Actually, I’m much more excited since I’m about to buy my first M.L. loudspeakers, a pair of Summit!!!
I should get them new at a very good price, but still have many doubts about the whole stuff, and try to summarize most troubling questions:
1) my listening room is 18' x 16' (I know, almost badly squared!). Is it too small for Summit loudspeakers?
2) I’m aware that experiencing is everything for audiophiles but, as a good starting point, what should the distance of the panel be from the rear wall?
3) I’ve seen someone places absorbers/diffusers on the wall just behind the loudspeaker panels. Again as a good starting point, should those be more absorbing or diffusing sound?
Thank you a lot!
Roberto

Roberto....Welcome !

Regarding your questions...

1) size is far from ideal but with the help of the acoustic experts(JonFo, DTB300, CAP, Rich and others) you can make it work.

2) in your case probably one meter at best, wheras 1-2 would be ideal

3) since your speakers will be close to wall I'd think more absorbing materials would be in order, diffusing works better the further the speakers are away from wall (general statement). corner bass traps, treat first point of refection.
Standard stuff !

Good luck !!

This room is not too small for the Summits. I have my Summits in a 14' x 19' room and they sound superb. You are correct, though, that the dimensions are not ideal and will give you some nasty room nodes in the bass region. If possible, you will need to place some bass traps in the corners of your room. This will make the bass from your Summits sound so much better.

Your panels should be a minimum of 3' and preferably as much as 5' from the wall behind them and probably somewhere around 7' to 8' apart from each other. Look in the tweaks section of this forum for a description of the flashlight technique for getting proper toe-in on your speakers.

I am a proponent of broadband absorption behind the speakers. Others prefer diffusion. I agree with C.A.P.'s assessment that diffusion may work better if you can get the speaker panels further out from the wall (5'); whereas absorption may work better if you have to place them 3' from the wall. Some of it is just personal preference, too. Some people prefer the ambiance of a diffused rear wave reflection. Others prefer the clarity and definition provided by minimizing that reflection. Also, if your room is fairly live sounding to begin with, absorption may be better. If it is highly absorptive already, then diffusion may be the better way to go. Don't forget to also treat the first reflection points on the side walls.

I strongly advise that you don't skimp on your acoustic treatment. The Summits are a fabulous speaker and deserve a great room to sound their best. With your dimensions, you are going to need some good acoustic treatment to make them sound their best. Some money spent on acoustic treatments will probably make a bigger difference on the sound of your Summits than any other component you buy.

I highly recommend Real Traps. I use their HF Mini Trap behind each of my Summits and the effect is not subtle. I also use their bass traps in the corners of my room. There are lots of other companies that also make great products, or if you want to save some money you can try to DIY. Spend some time researching the previous threads on this site and using the search feature. There are numerous threads discussing speaker placement and room treatment options.

Latest posts

Back