one half meter interconnect

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tah800

Reaction score
While purchasing my Nordost interconnect I have been advised by a couple of people to use nothing shorter than one meter. It would be much neater for me to use the shorter half meter cable as my surround preamp and amplifier are above one another. Is there any truth in these theories or do they just want you to pay more money for the longer cables. Art

Is there any truth in these theories or do they just want you to pay more money for the longer cables. Art
May or may not be the case........ unless they're sales staff. Electrons flow pretty much at the speed of light through a conductor. The time difference at that level, between a half meter and a full meter cable, will be minute on a nano scale! If you have the choice, go with the length that works best with your system's layout.

The only reason I can think of is peoples natural instinct to underestimate cable lengths. Case in point, my preamp and power amp are next to each other on the same piece of furniture and after accounting for the bend in the cable 1m meter is the exact right fit although at first glance it looks like a .5m would work. Only situation I see where .5m is long enough is when one unit literally sits on top of the other.

.5 meter interconnect

My preamp sits on a shelf directly above my amp. I presently have one piece of .5m interconnect and it fits perfectly. If you are using Nordost it's also a bit cheaper. I think the comment against that length had something to do with noise. Art

Is the Nordost flexible enough that you can bend it safely (if the fit is tight)?

BTW I hope that there is enough "breathing room" above your power amp, especially if it is tubed. I see too many systems here where there is not enough room above the amp.

I bought a .5m pair of interconnects with the same thing in mind. They would be the perfect length. What I found is shortly after that I decided to make a slight change in equipment and they were useless. Sold them and bought longer.
If you know you equipment is not going to change it looks very nice to not see drooping cables. I just is limiting to what else you can do.

While purchasing my Nordost interconnect I have been advised by a couple of people to use nothing shorter than one meter. It would be much neater for me to use the shorter half meter cable as my surround preamp and amplifier are above one another. Is there any truth in these theories or do they just want you to pay more money for the longer cables. Art

There was a review of the Quantum QX's in HiFi+ in the uk where he mentioned being told by the demonstator of the importance of using 4m runs of nordost's power cables - and although he only breifly mentions it, it did seem favorable. I guess the same would apply to interconnects too.....although lord knows why!
I run various lengths, and reckon life's just that bit short to get too worked up;)....ofc if the maths worked in our favour rather than nordost's, I'd reconsider:ROFL:

It's true only in the digital domain where it's advised that, in order to avoid reflections in the cable, it be at least 1m long.

There was a review of the Quantum QX's in HiFi+ in the uk where he mentioned being told by the demonstator of the importance of using 4m runs of nordost's power cables - and although he only breifly mentions it, it did seem favorable. I guess the same would apply to interconnects too.....although lord knows why!
Pure marketing, I think !

It's true only in the digital domain where it's advised that, in order to avoid reflections in the cable, it be at least 1m long.

Now, that is pure imagination! You can run a digital signal through any kind of 1 meter cable you like, including a speaker cable.

Now, that is pure imagination! You can run a digital signal through any kind of 1 meter cable you like, including a speaker cable.

No, that will cause problems. Get a proper digital cable and listen to the difference, it's easily apparent. It will work, but things will not sound as good.

I used a 0.5m custom co-axial job which connects my phono stage to the turntable on the next level. Seems to work very well and there's still a reasonable amount of slack.

Previously, when I had an LP12 with the standard 1m arm cable, the longer cable needed constant "dressing" to account for possible mechanical infringements which may adversely affect T/T performance - since cables can also act as conduits for mech energy?............................Victor.

Previously, when I had an LP12 with the standard 1m arm cable, the longer cable needed constant "dressing" to account for possible mechanical infringements which may adversely affect T/T performance - since cables can also act as conduits for mech energy?............................Victor.

True. You also don't want the cable's stiffness buggering about with the TT's suspension. Judicious cable dressing will alleviate that problem.

True. You also don't want the cable's stiffness buggering about with the TT's suspension. Judicious cable dressing will alleviate that problem.

Good observation Rich :) .....This was foremost in my thoughts too - my custom 0.5 cable was fashioned from a soft and flexible "midi-coax" by AudioOrigami (same company that makes the PU7 tonearm). Ironically, I think the Linn tonearm cable was actually much stiffer than the LP12 Mains cable (!) :D:D
The Linn, despite being suspended sub-chassis, seemed to be more sensitive to cable resonances via the phono stage than I expected. :eek:
Kind regards.....................Victor.

Back