OMG....mama took my Kodachrome away !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Well not mama but never-the-less it's a sad day with the announcement by Kodak that it will no longer produce Kodachrome film.

A large part of my Grandfathers slide collection that I have was shot in good 'ole '25' , alot of which is 55 plus years old and has archived beautfully !

Myself, I shot it exclusively untill mixing with Fuji in the mid-nineties before goin all digital four years ago.

Myself, I shot it exclusively untill mixing with Fuji in the mid-nineties before goin all digital four years ago.
Yeah, I used to use it a lot too, and have also gone all digital. A few years ago a friend of mine took a picture of a cake I made, using both film and digital (employing VERY high end/VERY expensive cameras). I preferred the digital picture - attached. You should see the high-res version !

Attachments

• DaleCake2.jpg
    DaleCake2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 140
Wow Bernard....if that tastes as good as it looks, Queue de Cheval should hire you as their Pastry chef !!

let me know...I'll be up for the desert !

Oh, BTW I think you mean "dessert" :)

I thought you folks were in a drout up north and thus the "desert"

You do realize English kept me from a 4.0 GPA throughout high school !

Been all digital for 12 years. Never looked back and don't miss it at all...

Don't miss film and really don't miss the darkroom, except for a few instances that were not photography related!

Don't miss film and really don't miss the darkroom, except for a few instances that were not photography related!
I do miss the darkroom (my father was a professional photographer, and I clocked a lot of hours in the darkroom) when it comes to lightening up sections of a photograph. I know how to do that in a darkroom, but not when it comes to digital. But then, I have not kept up with the latest and greatest in digital photography.

if it was not for the digital format I would have never gotten into photography. on the other hand a friend of mine shoots almost exclusively with a medium format film camera he says you loose much more than resolution and color with digital its about the shot and setup and so on. He is a very accomplished photographer he shoots pictures that are stunning and deep.

I shot a lot of that ISO 25 also - it was lovely!

Now I'm all digital, but my bet is that it will be like vinyl in the late '90s - it will make a comeback when people realise they're missing the beauty of randomly aligned grain rather than fixed pixel widths.

And I'm still ensuring my Olympus/Zuiko and Canon EOS-5 stay in good condition for the day when I get the bug to shoot film again.

if it was not for the digital format I would have never gotten into photography. on the other hand a friend of mine shoots almost exclusively with a medium format film camera he says you loose much more than resolution and color with digital its about the shot and setup and so on. He is a very accomplished photographer he shoots pictures that are stunning and deep.

You don't lose any color or resolution with digital if you are using a good camera. A digital sensor captures much more dynamic range than film ever could...

And by working with RAW image files in photoshop, you have way more options and control than you ever did in film days...

You don't lose any color or resolution with digital if you are using a good camera. A digital sensor captures much more dynamic range than film ever could...

I've heard to the contrary - in fact, I've heard that ISO 100 medium format (not sure which one) is equivalent to around 50,000 megapixels. Digital has a long way to go.

I've heard to the contrary - in fact, I've heard that ISO 100 medium format (not sure which one) is equivalent to around 50,000 megapixels. Digital has a long way to go.

Your comparing apples to oranges.

It depends on what your final output is, but realistically you can probably scan a medium format transparency to a 1GB file if you had access to one of the best drum scanners that money can buy AND a skilled operator to use it.

You can get a 400mb file from the best medium format backs and easily interpolate to a 1gb file, but almost no one uses that.

Analog films big limitation is it's ability to capture a wide tonal scale (i.e. dark to light). Properly exposed transparency film in a modest contrast situation might be able to capture about 1 f-stop worth of information, over or under the proper exposure, giving film a latitude of about 2-3 stops. The better digital cameras can do about 6 and the best stuff (the medium format backs) can capture 10 stops worth of range, that you can extend in photoshop.

The other area that film really falls down is sensitivity to low light. Ever try shooting ISO 1600 film? The grain is golf ball sized. I use my Canon EOS5D at 1600 -3200 regularly with no problems and still get some contrast to boot. When you push process film in low light, all you are really doing is developing the highlights more and the contrast goes way up.

The new Nikon D700 that I'm writing up right now, will produce better, cleaner images at ISO 6400 than the Olympus E-30 we reviewed last issue could at ISO 400.

The last area that film really falls short with (and it's more a fault of a film based system) is edge to edge sharpness of the frame. Because film has an inherent curve, it's really tough to maintain image sharpness at the corner of the frame with the slight curve to film. The digital sensor, being perfectly flat eliminates almost all of this problem.

There's plenty of other great reasons why digital is a lot more useful than film. And I probably wrote about 500 articles over the last 12 years, but my biggest complaint with film was getting rid of dust. When I used to shoot film and have high quality scans done for advertising clients, I used to spend between 1-3 hours just cleaning all the little dust specks and other crap in the scan.

And let's not even talk about the other fun parts of the process, like the lab destroying your film in the process, a moron running the scanner, etc etc.

I wouldn't go back to film for all the tea in China. Sure, I miss my old 8x10 Sinar some days and looking at those big transparencies on a light box, but it was a lot more work. Not to mention reshoots when the art director changed their minds....

Yeah, this time you can see the difference:D

And since some digital cameras allow you to record sound with the picture you can definitely hear the difference:D

Jeff,

I agree with you, but I started out in film (slides) 40 years ago and my favorite was Kodachrome 25, no other color transparency film was ever close. It will also hold a special place in my heart.

That said I have no intention of going back to film, digital is here now. Next stop Canon 5D Mk II.

That said I have no intention of going back to film, digital is here now. Next stop Canon 5D Mk II.

Agree with everything said above. I shot a ton of Kodachrome over the years. But I went all digital eight years ago and have no desire to go back to film. And I already have my 5D Mk II. :D

What I can do shooting RAW and working within Aperture/Lightroom and Photoshop is just amazing. On the computer, you can try different effects with a touch of the button that would take a long time to try in the dark room. You can do retouching and skin smoothing so easily. Adjusting exposure, contrast, color, etc. is a breeze on the computer. No, I don't miss the darkroom at all.

Dam right! my other buddy shoots a lot of product photography (also an amazing artist) for a big corporation one you have all shopped with at one time for sure the digital back on his Hasselblad I believe was 30k alone I think his gear runs into the 100k range he has stated that as good as it is he thinks film is still better lol but obviously not suited for his type of work.for his personal enjoyment its all film as well.

for me it will always be digital and one day it may surpass film but for the real die hards their is no substitute for film.

I sure hope this does not turn into another analog vs digital debate it sure is funny how this subject could mirror that.

Last edited:
Back