Old tweak new experience

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beek

Reaction score
As many others before me I have finally replaced
The line cords on my Vista"s something shielded with a heavier ga.
Very much different mid fullness,detail, smoother.
Another thing I am forced to use the same a/c line on my TV
& there was a split second blank out on Audio with TV turn on,
It is now gone (there are no audio ties to the TV in this system other than a/c.)

Very nice I love electro/magnetic interference stories anybody wanna share?
When I was in school the head of the place was an older retired IBM engineer.
He told me back in the day they had a test room under ground shielded in a copper & lead cage... We need these

Last edited:
He told me back in the day they had a test room under ground shielded in a copper & lead cage... We need these
I had one of those when I worked in a hospital, and then when I worked for the military. It never occurred to me to move my music system there.

I had one of those when I worked in a hospital, and then when I worked for the military. It never occurred to me to move my music system there.

The ultimate clean tweak. A friend of mine once had all the
Electronics in a separate room from the speakers it was a bitch to change disks but it was very clean.

Unfortunately, I have my TV and cable box in the same rack as my 2 channel rig. What I have done is connect those to a PS Audio Duet and turn it off when listening to music. Words wonders. The cable box is the primary culprit. Just be careful that you haven't scheduled a recording during your listening period. :D

The ultimate clean tweak. A friend of mine once had all the
Electronics in a separate room from the speakers it was a bitch to change disks but it was very clean.

Louis Motek puts a different spin on "field conditioning"... his various contraptions seems to garner sterling reviews (for however much that's worth these days)... but I do like his "out of the box" thinking on all his products. I use his power cables on all my equipment - love them.

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

I replaced the factory power cords on my Sequels, Logo and Scenarios about 5 years ago with "hospital grade" power cables from Mouser. They are 1-meter cables, and cost about $12 each. The improvement was noticable, cleaning up the mids and giving me a little more tighter bass. For a total investment of under $70 for all five speakers, it was well worth the money. Probably not as much of an improvement I would get from PS audio power cables, or any of the other mega-bucks power cords, but well-designed, well-shielded cables with high-quality plugs CAN make a difference.

I figured if a power cable is good enough for medical equipment, it's good enough for my speakers...

I think the real plus for the "hospital grade" power cords is the connectors. They are polished solid copper, and are rhodium-plated on the plug end, and the connectors on the IEC end are just bare polished copper. Also, the plug is actually clear plastic molded around the connectors and the soldered-on wires, so there is practically no way they can get any oxidation in there. The IEC end is also molded on, and an occasional squirt of Deoxit keeps them clean and shiny.

Most of the "high end" cables out there use 2-piece screw-fastened housings on the plugs and sockets, and there is a LOT of air in there, to effect the connections, and it makes it easier for air to get into the cable and oxidize the conductors too--Hospital-grade cables have to be water-tight, and so the molded-on connectors pretty much guarantee that the only part of the cables that are exposed to air are the plug prongs...

I replaced the standard power cords to my Odyssey's as well with Foundation Research LC1's. Big difference in clarity. These pc's have a biult in conditioner right in the cable.

Back