No Serial Numbers but....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJupiter

Reaction score
One of the things I really wanted help finding out here was to discover what model my cls panels are and how old they are. I have searched and found some good suggestions on the forum but am hampered by two factors: 1. There are no serial numbers on these speakers and 2. Being all thumbs, I'm hesitant to pry open the electronics box for fear of mucking something up.

Outside of the serial number referenced in the sticky, I have located 2 additional numbers on the electronics box of each speaker: 4142 and 4143, respectively.

Does anyone know if these numbers can be used to date the speakers and/or tell me the particular model?

JJ.

One of the things I really wanted help finding out here was to discover what model my cls panels are and how old they are. I have searched and found some good suggestions on the forum but am hampered by two factors: 1. There are no serial numbers on these speakers and 2. Being all thumbs, I'm hesitant to pry open the electronics box for fear of mucking something up.Does anyone know if these numbers can be used to date the speakers and/or tell me the particular model?Outside of the serial number referenced in the sticky, I have located 2 additional numbers on the electronics box of each speaker: 4142 and 4143, respectively.
JJ.

Jim,
Not sure if this is the sticky you were referencing
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=5178

The electronics box has a seperate serial # from the panels.
I recently purchased a pair of CLS II and replaced the panels.
The old panels serial #'s were on a sticker on the back side of the panel in the upper right corner, the new panels had the serial #'s in the lower right corner.

The serial # decoder should help you determine the age of the electronics box and panels, if you can't find the serial #s on the panels I have no idea how to find out how old they are. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

You'll find no serial #s on the inside of the box, but if there is only 1 transformer on the inside it's a CLS or CLS I or IA, if there's 2 it's a CLS II, IIA, OR IIZ

Last edited:
A picture tells a 1000 words. Take a pic of the speaker and the X-overs and I can tell you what model you have !

Hello WB and CAP,

Yeah, that was the sticky to which I referring. I see you also anticipated that I was hoping there would be a serial number inside the electronics box. It helps to know that the serial number on the electronics box is separate from any numbers for the panels.

CAP, very cool of you to offer your expertise but you missed my trepidation about mucking about with the electronics box. Am I making too much of this or are there instructions or a walk-through or something for opening the box on the board somewhere? Keep in mind that I thought it a major accomplishment when I popped open my cd player to fish out a pair of stuck cds.

I've begun to suspect that these speakers may have originally been I's and been modded to II's. Well at least the arrangement of the stators resemble the II's more than the original cls. Perchance do you know if the entire electronics box is swapped out if an upgrade is made or just the guts?

Even if I pin down the model, I still want to get a better idea how old these speakers are.

Thanks,
JJ.

PS. I just checked out both your systems. Absolutely fabulous. Something to aspire to... and envy for now. Well done and happy listening.

Jim,
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5543

Here's a link to an old thread discussing who has the oldest ML's.
Starting with post #14 members start to post the pics of the insides of their CLS electronics boxes.

Post 40 memeber Zaphod lists a 4 digit serial# to his CLS similiar to yours and said he purchased in 1989 or '90.

I knew I had a pair of CLS II because my boxes were marked clearly, but was unsure if I had the sensing power supplies, I sent a picture to Jim Powers to find out. They weren't so I upgraded them.

Opening the box is a piece of cake, 4 small nuts on the underside of the top.

I would send a picture of the inside to Jim Power to determine what type of electronics box you have. He might be able to help you with the age of the panels if you can't locate the serial #'s

[email protected]

yep, and my serial number is on the boxes. i don't think i have any numbers on the panels. hmmm -- let me check downstairs... nope. nothing on the panels, just the electronics.

Thanks again WB,
Sorry I did not reply sooner but I had taken ilI. I did happen to find that thread since but having that link will make things easier. Thanks for the info and the heads up re: getting in the box.
I'll post back later with what I found out.

Zaphod,
Thanks to you as well for the double-check; much obliged.

JJ.

As they say around here Jim Power is the man:
Catch his email in reply to my inquiries.

"I built those. These are the last version (and best if I might add) of
the original CLS. These were built in mid to late 1988 and they still
look great.
jp"

Not too shabby a provenance, eh?

Folks your help in this small matter has been most appreciated.

Thanks,
JJ.

Back