Newbe with CLS2Zs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

Reaction score
Hello MLC members, I'm Evan.
I am a new owner of CLS2Zs and I love these speakers.
Question about the panels.
How do you know (hear) if they need to be replaced?
At higher volumes my left CLS base panel "rattles" a bit at certain frequencies.

Thanks for any input

First off....welcome ! congrats on the CLS2z's, in so far as the 'rattle' is it the mylar/stator interaction or the frame of the speaker itself ?

sounds like the tape is coming loose on the stator. easy to fix, if that's the problem.

Hello Dave, thanks for the reply.
It is the mylar/stator.

Cheers,
Evan

Is this something I could do myself (I'm pretty good with tools) or should I take them in to the shop?

here are the instructions from the amazingly incredible Jim Powers aka "The Man"

CLS panels can rattle for a couple of reasons. One is a simple resonance where the film gets excited at certain frequencies. It will sound fine until you hit a specific note then it sounds like a Kazoo. This is also dependent on how loud you play it. If it is loose damping tape, it will buzz at almost all frequencies and volume levels. If in fact the damping tape has come loose, and it sounds like it may have, our best bet is to remove it and replace it with new tape on the OUTSIDE of the panel. It will be on the backside so it will hardly be noticeable but it will still serve the same purpose. It indeed does serve a purpose. It dampens or limits the excursion of the foil. It can rattle like crazy without it.

Now for getting the tape out. It takes patience, good light and a steady hand. Don't try to do it after polishing off a pot of coffee.

You will do best if you can find a high quality pair of tweezers that have a curve or hook on the end. Try to gently reach inside and snag the very pointed end of the offending tape. Once you have a secure grip, use something like a Q-tip or dull pencil to reach inside the grid and unstick the remaining length of tape. Just give it a slight push in spots down the length of it until you can see that it is completely floating. As soon as the entire length is floating, start slowly and steadily pulling the tape out through the single hole with the tweezers. If the tape snaps, carefully get another purchase on it and continue pulling.

Usually you will see the adhesive powder up around the hole you are pulling from. Don't be concerned about that. It will clean up later.

After the entire length of tape is removed, re-install some 2 inch wide clear packing tape in roughly the same area and pattern as the previous tape served. That will probably take care of it.

Thanks for the great info!

The "rattle" happens at fairly high volumes, at certain lower frequencies.
It seems to hit its natural frequency and "brrrr" there it goes.
I will keep an ear on the damping tape thou.
When I was vacuuming the speakers (as per manual recommendation) I heard a similar sound as I went over the damping tape area.

Will let you know when I complete my investigation.

First, I’d like to wish all members “All the best” for the New Year!

My love affair with the CLS2Zs is going on the 3rd month now and surprisingly, my wife found out about it, as they are in the living room. Luckily, she loves to listen to them, but, is not happy with “all the boxes and wire bits”.
Now, on to my rattle problem.
My left channel panel rattles, or buzzes at certain midrange frequencies at higher volumes. The rattle is coming from the 5th and/or 6th section from the top of the curved (central) panel.
Before I contact the local dealer, can someone tell me if this means I need new panel(s).
Also, does anyone know if the panel will shrink if heated locally?

Thanks again,
Evan

My love affair with the CLS2Zs is going on the 3rd month now and surprisingly, my wife found out about it, as they are in the living room. Luckily, she loves to listen to them, but, is not happy with “all the boxes and wire bits”.
Now, on to my rattle problem.
My left channel panel rattles, or buzzes at certain midrange frequencies at higher volumes. The rattle is coming from the 5th and/or 6th section from the top of the curved (central) panel.
Before I contact the local dealer, can someone tell me if this means I need new panel(s).
Also, does anyone know if the panel will shrink if heated locally?

Thanks again,
Evan

Back