New to ML, can someone help pls?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola audioperfecto and welcome. First of all, you should try to listen what we like here at this forum. The ML sound is very different than cone speakers. The first thing that you will notice is the volume level. You do not need to play too loud to get the right size of the stage, with truly 3D sound and beyond left and right sides. Of course you can play them loud, but you will need a lot of juice power from your amp. How is this done? The diaphragm of any ML model these days weights less than the air that it moves. And this diaphragm is big! Moves a lot of air, and another thing that you will notice is the abcense of distortion. No., nothing, nada!!! So, the nuances and the feeling of the musician(s) will be there just for your in your own place. These are truly dipolar sound. Positive transients to the front, and negative to the back of the speakers, and a little delay in time from the back wall to your ears, given a truly sense of 3D. The piano harmonic texture will put you truly in heaven. Believe this!! Read all the benefits vs minor flaws that you get with these fine speakers. At this forum, you will find some of us that prefers the old ML sound, and others like me, who likes better the new ML line. These babies are not cheap, but as an example, with the Summit X, you get two 10" active woofers, one firing to the floor and the other firing to the room, per speaker, with two controls at the back of it. These knobs are for room resonance standing waves control. One is set for frequencies at 25Hz +-10dB and other at 50Hz+-10dB. Because of these features, you really can adjust the bass response so easy that you can understand the difference between an A to an A#. Because the panels (true for all ML electrostatic) does not have any tweeter (only center channels do) so you have a coherence from midrange to zip with no phase shift, avoiding the ringing tweeter problems that usually you are listening to the piano notes in a cone speaker. They so clean that you can listen the hammer-plush of the piano hitting the strings when you have a high resolution recording (example=reference recording, Mike Garson Serendipity album). The cymbals are projected in a such way that they dance and float in the air next to the drummer at the stage. The bass is robust and well defined. Vocals are breath taking...with the right size an energy that make them to be in front of the musician(s) that are playing. I can live with any ML model. They are made thinking for music and musician(s). They are like opera, you like it or not. There are so many benefits, that I could write a lot, but I think that I said enough to encurage you to listen to them. All depends how much you want to spend. If you buy the woofer self powered, you have to buy them at the UK distributor. Go to ML web page, and search for international distributor. It is very important this, because to stop gray market, ML make the specific power supply for each country. I wish you a very happy listening, and please excuse my poor English.
Roberto.

Hi AP,

To answer your first question. Assuming all is optimized, I'd be surprised if you can find better from a price / performance perspective.

GG

Fantastic, thanks for the feedback.

I think most of what I wanted to ask is covered - Actually I am begining to think I have stumbled upon something special this time because I have not come across any ML owner who doesn't like it. The only other questions remaining unanswered are:

1. Can anyone comment on the new ML Theos ( I have the Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks so I can see it a good match)

2. I have still been unable to find a dealer towards the north of UK, can someone help ?

3. One thing that slightly concerns me is the sweet spot which I understand is narrow in MLs (or any other electrostat for that matter) but does this mean when I walking about in the room I would hear quite a bit of discontinuities, variations in loudness profiles?

Thanks!

Back