New subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I've been hemming and hawing over subs for the past couple months. I'm kinda gun shy. The REL I tried just would not blend completely with the Spire. Sounded OK but sounded pasted on or poorly photo shopped!

So I ordered a pair of JL Audio F112's for a stereo pair. Hopefully with the additional adjustments and the ARO available on the Fathom, I should have better luck than before. It is going to be a tight squeeze getting them both located, but I think I have the wiggle room I'm going to need.

Jeff, the Gotham was way to big and I'd need to brace the floor!!

Gordon

Congratulations Amigo,

Look forward to your impressions.

By the way, did you pick up on any of the music I recommended?

G

here is the third Gordon chiming in! I have a pair of the large fathoms 113...
You will absolutely love them! I had to use the larger ones in my 6600 cubic foot basement theater and placed each in the front corners behind my SL 3's for best perfomance. I would highly suggest some kind of Bass traps if your room (or wife!) allows for added performance. I did a write up in the acoustics section of this forum on my home built bass traps.

Happy listening and let us know what you think of the subs!

gordon:ROFL:

I'm eager to hear these JLs, but can't get past their car audio heritage!

For now, I'm happy with my Whise Profunder......

I have a single F112 matched with my Vista's and love it! The many adjustments and the ARO make set up easy.

I have a single F112 matched with my Vista's and love it! The many adjustments and the ARO make set up easy.
Mark, you bought one! Cool.:music:

Also running a solo f112 and enjoying it immensely. ARO is a nice feature though I never could get the bass flat to my satisfaction and eventually migrated to full-frequency EQ.

The subs have been installed for three days. So far the results have been spectacular! With all of the possible level controls and ARO it has been a snap getting these to blend with the Spire. Much easier to do than my single REL.

They are not exactly perfect as of yet and require a bit more tweaking since I'm having a bit of bloat way at the bottom. I'm on my second pad of paper and battery for my SPL meter chasing numbers. Some of them are quite puzzling but part of the learning curve of integrating stereo subs.

The added foundation is quite welcome. I wanted a bit more slam in the bottom, not boom, just a bit more reinforcement.

I know I could do a search but does anybody know off the top their head where the panel crosses over to the woofer? I thought it was 270hz.

More to follow on the subs. This was/is a great upgrade!

Gordon

I know I could do a search but does anybody know off the top their head where the panel crosses over to the woofer? I thought it was 270hz.

Congrats on the new toys!

I believe the Summits cross over at 270 Hz; IIRC, the Spire crosses over at 320 Hz.

Very cool G.

When are you going to post some pictures of the system?

GG

Once I figure out how to do it, unless one of the kids helps me!

I still haven't seen a picture of Rich's stack either, other than the Barbie record player!

Gordon

Back