New Sequel II owner - Issues?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorktownman

Reaction score
New Sequel II owner - bought locally off craigslist ...
Sounded great during the audition ...

I now notice that one speaker has lower higher frequency output than the other.
I've proved to myself that it's not the amp or source.

I removed the power supply and the high voltage supply is turned off on this one.
Turned it back on ... no noticeable difference.

Actually I removed the AC power from both and notice no real difference in output?
I"m a newbie here ... am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new Sequel ii's... Unplug them overnight. Then with a STRONG vacuum, vacuum the panels (front and back). Don't worry if you see the membrane getting sucked close to the stator... it won't harm the speakers. Pay close attention to the spars (the lines across the panels).

This will hopefully remove any dust and contaminants on the panels. Then see how they sound. If the problem persists, you can remove the panels and shower them.. yes, you heard me correctly..Take them into the shower!!! Don't laugh, it works!! Do a search on here to find exact instructions on how to do this correctly.

ML panels don't last forever, and Sequel ii's are old, so I'm not surprised that this is happening. Not sure if ML is still making new panels for these.. If they are, they will be $$ and IMHO, not worth it. The shower trick is your last option. Or just turn the low channel volume up a little higher and live with them that way.

Good luck!

Many Thanks for the quick response Tom ...
I will certainly try your suggestions.
I'm still a little confused why it makes no difference if power is connected to the speaker or not?

Plugging the speakers in will energize the panels. put your ear up to the panels.. Do you hear ANY music coming from them??

Since you said they sounded good during the audition, i'd check to make sure you have power to them. Are they plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a lightswitch perhaps?

Last edited:
That's what's so confusing ... they seem to work ok without power (albeit one channel a little quieter) ... why?

Without power, you should hear music coming from only the woofer section. If you unplug your ML's while they're playing, you will continue to hear music from the panels as the caps discharge in the panels power supply and then you'll just hear low frequency sounds from the woofer.

Sadly, there is no power indicator light telling you there are energized like the newer ML electrostats, but there will be a NOTICEABLE difference in what the speakers sound like when plugged into a working outlet. If the speakers sound exactly the same when plugged in vs. unplugged your outlets are either dead or the fuses or power supplies in the speakers are not working.

Please answer my question above: place your ear up to the panel while playing. Do you hear sound coming from it?

I left them without power overnight. They are now very quiet indeed. I can still hear sound up close but clearly not the same as when plugged in.
I will try the vacuum and/or shower!
Thanks for all the advice ...

That's what's so confusing ... they seem to work ok without power (albeit one channel a little quieter) ... why?

That is because the electrostatic charge that is built up when they are plugged in lasts for minutes or more, even after the AC voltage is removed. That's why the recommendation to let them discharge overnight before vacuuming or to check the sound.

On Sequels, they are getting to an age where caps in the crossover could be going bad, which might lead to lower output from the high-pass portion of the crossover.
Other possibility is the connectors between the step-up transformer and the panel are not conducting the same amount of power as the other speaker. Check those if you remove the panels for the shower process.

I have Sequels as my rears that I've owned since new in '93 and they still perform fine. But I've babied them and they live in a windowless man-cave.

Back