New Sennheiser headphones look/sound sharp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read this story reviewing the new Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. As an owner of the HD 650's, I was curious about them. Looks like they have completely redesigned them and improved them, and jacked the price way up. I know, they aren't Stax. But they are pretty darn good phones, and the new ones may just be even better.

Here's the link to the story and a picture:

First Look: Sennheiser HD 800 headphones

hd800_1.jpg

I also own the hd650's and have always liked them for movies I have always thought they lacked something for the music maybe these will be better.I really wish they could get the size down a little without giving up performance my hd650's are big and these look even bigger

Last edited:
Both of you guys have killer systems. How do you find time for headphones?

Easy. I now have a one-year old daughter whose nursery is located just above my media room (d'oh!). So, unfortunately, I have been listening to my headphones more than my Logans lately, especially in the evening time.

$1400?! FMH! They'd better be damned good, 'cause at that price they're encroaching into Stax territory!

I have listened to the Stax and many others. Headphones are to .......Stereophonic for me. I can mow lawns and do work with them but I cant sit and try and listen for pure musicality !
Especially at $1400 or more , that is what I paid for my CLS .........:ROFL:

Both of you guys have killer systems. How do you find time for headphones?

addiction in its purest for my freind!

I also agree with you C.A.P not really for the sit down and listen to enjoy the music device. I got mine pretty cheep on line from a dealer who did not abide by the map price and usually only use them at work or long car rides stuff like that.no matter how hard the try I do not think anybody can build a headphone that sounds as good as a well settup pair of martin logans. headphones do have some nice and interesting attributes to them though

no matter how hard the try I do not think anybody can build a headphone that sounds as good as a well settup pair of martin logans.

No doubt about that Fish. Although, these new Sennheisers do appear to have some interesting technological developments that may improve spatiality and soundstaging, which just sucks with most headphones. But I agree with you guys. They aren't likely to sell too many of them at that price. I mean, isn't that more than double what they were charging for the HD 650's? And I thought those were priced a little stratospheric (which didn't keep me from buying them, so maybe they will sell more of these than I think).

Headphones scare me. I'm always concerned that something would go wrong and I would get a blast in my ears. So, I don't own a pair.

this is true Bernard but it is really much more of a problem with in the ear canal ear bud types such as shure ear buds. I also have a pair of these for when I workout.

Attachments

• E200-1058-a.jpg
    E200-1058-a.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 116
Got me some 590's. I use them at work. OK if a little veiled.

Headphones suck because you don't get the vibes real sound waves give, in the sense that your body doesn't feel the air movement (OK at highish volumes only - but maybe even at lower ones it is an element we are not really aware of, but is relevant to some extent). They have an odd stereo image, too, making you think the sound is in your head. You never get that impression listening to a real instrument.

In short, headphones only hit your ear drums.

Plus points - no room interaction/no need for treatments! Low levels of peceived colouration with the better examples.

Agreed there Justin - granted, they can outperform loudspeakers in some respects.

It's just that - just occasionally - loudspeakers can disappear and you can forget you're listening to hi-fi - you get that fleeting "it's dead-set real!" With headphones you never get that "real" effect - you always know you're listening to hi-fi, no matter how good. Stax included.

I agree fine speakers are the ultimate, but as my wife tries to work in the next room, Ear speakers are a fine and very involving way to listen. I had Stax Sr5 way back and more recently tried home dem of Sennheiser 650 which I found very bland and inoffensive and a bit boring but that was using the headphone output of my previous pre amp (resolution). To be fair to the Senns a dedicated headphone unit was probably necessary. I then tried the top Grado home dem directly against the Stax which was mighty impressive but a mite tiring and with overblown bass on a significant minority of music (guys on the Naim site love them! but even they note the tiring treble difficulty). I opted for the Stax 4040 with 006 Valve energiser (hey Justin I have some tubes!!!) and they are just lovely - similar to ML in presentation and I suspect for us ML lovers must be the first choice, for me worth every penny - and lucky to have the requisite pennies!!

Headphones are always controversial. I was ambivalent about them but due to domestic concerns I splashed out a few years ago for the HeadRoom Desktop fully balanced dac/headphone amp for my Sennheisers. This was a quantum leap over anything I have heard. No, you don't have the "performers in the room with you" image that a fine pair of loudspeakers can provide, but I am frequently gobsmacked, as our UK friends would say, by the sheer musicality of this system. The tonality of instruments is so dead on, and the detail retrieval without any "edge" just amazes me.

That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla!

Mark

Headphones are always controversial. I was ambivalent about them but due to domestic concerns I splashed out a few years ago for the HeadRoom Desktop fully balanced dac/headphone amp for my Sennheisers. This was a quantum leap over anything I have heard. No, you don't have the "performers in the room with you" image that a fine pair of loudspeakers can provide, but I am frequently gobsmacked, as our UK friends would say, by the sheer musicality of this system. The tonality of instruments is so dead on, and the detail retrieval without any "edge" just amazes me.

That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla!

Mark

HD650s????

detail retrieval without any "edge" just amazes me.

Isn't that just the truth? What's wrong with these loudspeakers in this regard? Or is it the other way round? Why no edge with headphones? Really curious. Because if I plug my guitar into my amp and play, messing with the tone controls I can get plenty of edge! So it is not just a facet of a hi-fi system.

Last edited:
Back