New member with a problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkcheng122

Reaction score
hello all,

new member here, came here with a question on my CLS II panels.

but let me start off with a pic of my system that i inherited from dad.

i'm having the same issue with the hiss during certain notes/frequencies like many others have mentioned. this issue is very noticeable when playing norah jones' "i've got to see you again".

vacuuming and blow dryer heating improved situations a bit but did not solve the issue. i'm wondering now if the only way to get around this is to replace the panels.

below are some pictures i took of the top of the left panel, i am wondering the separation is supposed to be there. this separation occurs on both left and right sides of the top and bottom of both panels. the separation is much larger on the left than the right.

pic 1

pic2

is there some way i can glue that back together and/or is my problem beyond just that separation?

Last edited:
A hair dryer my friend ;). Welcome to the site fellow CLS owner.

The separation at the curve is common. Its not a issue unless the Mylar has wrinkled. Martin Logan addressed it in later models with a molding. (which I think looks out of place) . What you can do is fill the area with black butyl caulk and some paint.

I think a good hair dryer will help smooth out the mylar along the bass sections. Its not hard and it seems intimidating but it isn't. Use a 1800 watt hair dryer and run it along the edge by the wood frame at a rate of 1 inch per second. Then run it down the inner edge of the bass sections(the outer sections) . In the middle you will see a 1 inch Mylar tape that is there for resonance. Run it down there too.

Also look for wrinkles at the corners lower and upper. They are hard to see some times so look well .
DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN ! it will melt the mylar. I have used Hair dryers and tested them continually on the Mylar with no foul results but very positive effects.

If you have any questions PM me I can call ya !

Last edited:
Back