New Member / Newbie Question - Amplifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrakim

Reaction score
Greetings MLC Members,

I was referred to the site by someone at the AVS forum for all things ML. That said, great site and thanks to all the founders / members.

I have very little experience in AV systems etc., but have been a fan of Martin Logan for many years. I am currently putting together a AV systems and was wondering if someone could provide some opinions regarding the addition of an amp to my current set up. If so, recommendations on a good amp would also be appreciated.

System:
Front - Source (L/R)
Sub - Abyss
Center - Matinee
Rear - Helo 100 (L/R)

Plasma - Pioneer Pro-151FD
Receiver - Pioneer SC-25
Blu Player - Pioneer BDP-09FD

The system is not yet installed / wired up and I am currently oversees so I do not have an opportunity to set it up and listen to it. Let me apologize in advance for the somewhat "silly" question - any and all thoughts / recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

many here like the sunfire cinema line for your configuration...but im a 2 channel guy meagerly farming in the land of badass so what do I know?

but hey, welcome to the home of auditory magic, this place is audio Disney Land in many regards.

some very knowledgeable folks that share their wisdom here so tune in, turn on, and listen up....:cool:

I am looking to do same new config and was recommended to replace my Yamaha RXS800 145 W/ch plus ADCOM 200 W/ch ( which is dedicated to running my BP20 Def Tecs) with the newest Onkyo 5007 9.2 ch Receiver. The Magnolia guy was recommending a lot of power to drive the SOurce MLs but also part of his recommendation included HDMI to replace my component connection to the Plasma and also to double up unused power /ch of the Onkyo 9.2 option to drive the Sources. I am not confident yet on that recommendation.

Jimna - Thanks for the recommendation. I will have a look and do some research. I totally agree, although I only recently signed up, I have been all over this website - great stuff and very knowledgeable people indeed.

bobb01 - Thanks for the insight.

Whats your all important budget? If you are on a tight budget then I would recommend looking at www.emotiva.com They are a lot of bang for the buck and I know quite a few people that own them and love them. Some other very good budget amps are B&K reference series amps-gives a warmer sound, NAD, www.outlawaduio.com. Otherwise, I like the Parasound Halo line, Bryston, Van Alstine if you want to go the Tube route.

Mechnutt -

Given what I have already spent on the system, I would like to spend as little as possible but for reference sake let's say 1K - 2K. Thanks for the recommendations, I will have a look.

On another note, I have been doing some research on the Sunfire Cinema Grand based on Jimna's recommendation and it seems to have some great reviews and would address issues that I have regarding the limited amount of space (the amp needs to be placed in a cabinet / concealed). This was compromise I made with the wife for allowing me to get the Source versus getting the Tickets / in-wall speakers for my fronts. My HT is actually our living room so everything needs to be clean as possible. All that being said, I can only find the Sunfire Cinema Grand line used - I am assuming the new line is the Theater Grand.

Regardless, thanks again for the recommendations and I will have a look at all of them.

FWIW, i have not used that(sunfire) amp personally, i have simply read the many posts here raving of their match to ML. but im sure this will be a great amp if you can afford it.

i am on a very strict budget so i am actually looking at the emotiva amp line. as for the outlaw amps, i have read enough to feel they are possibly great in HT use but not so musical, hence my emotiva direction at the price point. but if HT is your focus i guess Outlaw might be a good option for you too.

The Sunfire TGA series run very cool, so enclosing in a cabinet should not be problem. They also double down as the Ohms go down on the ML Electrostats so the Sunfire TGA Multi-channel 200 series, either 5 or 7 channels would work nicely with your reciever turning into a Pre-amp. Both can be found used on Audiogon for around the budget number you mentioned.

Many here at MLOC use their original receiver as a pre-amp connected to a power amp for our HTs. It gives you the most flexibility and the most room to grow, which once bitten by the Electrostat bug, you will most likely get 'upgradeitis' which will dog you until the day you quit HIFI.:D

Jimna - got you. BTW, FWIW? Thanks for the additional information on the Emotiva and Outlaw...only checked the prices which were great but will need do some more research.

MJAUSGP - Thanks for the information, I read how cool they run. Hmm did not realize that (receiver as pre-amp). As far as the MLOC bug that has been going around, my system is not even hooked-up yet and I am looking. BTW - your CLX are looking great!

FWIW, i have not used that(sunfire) amp personally, i have simply read the many posts here raving of their match to ML. but im sure this will be a great amp if you can afford it.

Jimna - disregard, just figured it out (for what it's worth).

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of Parasound amps. They lean to the warmer side of things both in tone and temperature but complement my MLs nicely...

Esowden - thanks for information. I read a lot of great reviews for the Parasound amps. I pretty much narrowed it down to either a Parasound and or Sunfire.

Great posts before me, and I currently run a sunfire cinema grand. I have had it for several years and I believe it is doing an excellent job. I have heard good things about all the amps talked about here. Coming from a receiver and several amps before it, I have really fallen in love with the sunfire.

tsmooth - thanks for the information. The more research I do the more I am leaning towards the Sunfire amp, I have yet to find one bad review. I would also agree with you regarding all the other amps mentioned, they also get rave reviews.

Funny thing is, I was not even planning on adding an amp to my system.

I've been using a Sunfire Cinema Grand II for a few years and has been doing an excellent job of driving my Summits for mains, Stage center and Scripts rears. No problem with it being enclosed in cabinet with minimal ventilation as it runs absolutely cold to the touch.

Someday, I may upgrade to the Signature version just for the additional boost in power but the Cinema II is fine at 220 watts @ 8 Ohms, 440 @ 4 Ohms. This is plenty of amp for your system.

Also, that Pioneer Pro-151FD plasma of yours is the best plasma and even though Pioneer isn't making them anymore it probably still the best picture of any flat panel TV monitor. Did you have it professionally calibrated? I'm using mine with factory settings out of the box and it looks great but not sure if I'm missing anything by paying a pro to come in and fine tune it.

Anyone have any experience with calibration service on the Pioneer Pro-151 Kuro plasma and do you think it is worth the $200-$400 to have it done or are the factory adjustments usually good enough?

Last edited:
Jimna - tell me about! Nice man cave, I wish I could have gone all out but my man cave is my wife's living room, in other words it is the living room and needs to resemble one. Thanks again for turning me onto Sunfire and the other amps.

Craig - thanks for the additional information - great help, as I have yet to finalize my amp purchase.

As far as the Pioneer Pro-151, I literally have been looking at this monitor for years. I work oversees, so when I heard Pioneer was going to stop making them, I pretty much started researching for the next best thing. Long story short, was home for the holidays this past x-mas and my wife picked one up for me.

To answer your question regarding the calibration, I did not have it done as my plasma has yet to be mounted / installed properly but most likely will get it professionally calibrated.

Great system / set up!

Last edited:
Jimna - Thanks for the recommendation. I will have a look and do some research. I totally agree, although I only recently signed up, I have been all over this website - great stuff and very knowledgeable people indeed.

bobb01 - Thanks for the insight.
Just as an update I brought the ML Puritys home and hooked them up to my ADCOM amp (200W/ch) and they sounded exceptional. I am not using their internal amp for the woofers. Most important is to provide high quality power amp source to them to get an amazing result. I played thru all types of music and found that the low response was way beyond expectation in that there is no need for a sub woofer system and that the bass is very adaptive to what ever is playing with fast response. High end was expansive and spatial with crystal clear range. I was very pleased. My room is 15 wide and 22 long sitting back about 10-15 feet from speakers in cathedral ceiling room style.

Congrats and welcome

Your system is very close to mine, i have the Sources, Matinee, Dynamo and Tickets. I power the Sources with a stereo B&K ref 200.1 amp, goes really well and my Integra receiver DTR 7.8 powers the rest of the setup. I love the B&K and definitely recommend you try them out. Rotel also makes some nice amps for the money.

Back