New Member in NY

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw_designs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was highly encouraged to join this site as I am picking up a set of Preface speakers tonight here locally. They are heavy and its cold here and I have my work cut out for me. Going on all I have read and some of what I actually heard I made the decision last weekend and now they are in the store waiting.

I had a rather poor demonstration at Best Buy through a Home Theatre reciever nonetheless I did like the sound enough to take time thinking it over. I have a vintage system Carver preamp and 200w Crown power amp to run these and realized some days after the demo they would sound much better in my home on that equipment.

So here I am, I have been into audio since the seventies and have really gotten back into it in the last two years having built no less than three vintage systems here at the house including Sansui, Bose, Nakamichi, Marantz and Thorens gear its getting crazy here.

I have had four Advent loudspeakers for many years now and this is my first new speaker purchase for over thirty years.

I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum and will post my impressions once I get these set up. I don't know if I can do the three foot requirement from the rear wall but it may be close. We shall see. :(

Best Regards,
Ron

welcome! i dont think you need 3' with prefaces, i think you will be fine. enjoy!

I am picking up a set of Preface speakers tonight They are heavy and its cold here

Heavy ??? we better get you in the gym ! LOL !

What part of NY ?? if you tell me NYC then you don't know what cold is .......on the other hand if you tell me Pottsdam, well that's another story !

hey Ron....just bustin' your stones.......:welcome:

Beautiful systems everyone. I am impressed.

I picked up the set Saturday night and was finally settled in Sunday with them. I had to redo the listening room a bit and I promise to get those pictures very soon. I have been buried here.

I was able to meet the two foot from the wall requirement and they are seven feet apart and nine feet from the couch. Slightly toed in.

The sound? Unbelieveable. I am having a problem though and have started a thread in the main forum. Again, thank you for the welcome and cool pics you posted.

Dave, they were not that heavy as the boxes were pretty easy to handle. I do need to work out though! :D

Sorting things out I finally had a chance to get a pic today. No excuses, just always busy.
I have the Preface about seven feet apart, two feet from the front wall and ten feet from where I listen. So far its been just right and I may spike them soon. They really have brought out the beauty in my music and I went ahead and bought a new Marantz SA-8003 SACD to support thier wonderful sound. Thats my cave and not alot of light here yet still very much February.

My next upgrade will be a new preamp to support the Crown D-150 you see in the pic. I have been looking at Parasound, NAD and Emotiva to name a few. Very torn on that decision. I believe the Carver being thirty years old now may need to move aside although the system sounds beautiful.

DSC05536.jpg

Last edited:
If you can, get that coffee table out of the way, and also, move the equipment cabinet so that it is not between the speakers.

I am not familiar with the Prefaces, but I would tend to mount them on stands.

Ron, Glad to see you're progressing with the new acquisition ! Nice looking collection of Vintage gear BTW !

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the club.
Cheers, Greg

If you can, get that coffee table out of the way, and also, move the equipment cabinet so that it is not between the speakers.

I am not familiar with the Prefaces, but I would tend to mount them on stands.

Nice system you have there. Right now I don't know how I can take down that equipment cabinet its just too much. Even the table is something I need there. I have the speakers out a ways the sound seems to surround them nicely.
I do see your point, I just don't know how to do it is all.

Ron, Glad to see you're progressing with the new acquisition ! Nice looking collection of Vintage gear BTW !

Thanks Dave, I tried to choose it wisely. Your system is so very cool man it looks so squared away. I just have so much stuff right now its been a challenge getting that room right.

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the club.
Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg - Nice setup guy. I feel like I have a long ways to go seeing all this beautiful gear.

Nice job.

What do I do with my equipment cabinet and TV, and table guys? Its a surround couch on the back wall. Are the speakers set up wrong?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the kind comments.Beleive me, it's a long road and took me a while to get to this point. Having high cabinets between ML's with stator panels is a no - no. Since your preface don't have stators, I would assume it would be less of a concern in your case.

Having large coffee tables can muck up the sound, same thing for glass tables. I tried to get the smallest table I could at the seating position due to that reason.Ron, you could try temporarily removing the coffee table and see if it makes a differnce to you.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the kind comments.Beleive me, it's a long road and took me a while to get to this point. Having high cabinets between ML's with stator panels is a no - no. Since your preface don't have stators, I would assume it would be less of a concern in your case.

Having large coffee tables can muck up the sound, same thing for glass tables. I tried to get the smallest table I could at the seating position due to that reason.Ron, you could try temporarily removing the coffee table and see if it makes a differnce to you.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

I will move the table and give it a try. It would be nice out of there. I just brought the speakers out further away from the large cabinet sides further into the room. They are still the proper distance from the couch sitting area. They do sound great. Stands? I don't know. I have not spiked them yet as I am still tinkering not sure how much difference it will make right now. Plenty of bass for sure. They are nearly three feet from the front wall now. I move them constantly sometimes looking for the optimum soundstage but it changes from one source to another and CD etc. Its all in the program material I find.

Please feel free to comment further I need all the help I can get. I have alot of equipment there and need that entertainmant center for now.

Thanks alot for the help!
Ron

Back