New here and have questions! SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HG5150

Reaction score
Finally I am in the audiophile world! I just purchased the following gear and need some assistance.

ML SL3-mint with almost no use (documented).
Sunfire Series II Stereo Amp-feeding MLS.
Sunfire Cinema Series II 5X200 Amp-feeding Polk R15x4 and soon to be ML center channel speaker.

I plan to bi-wire the SL3s and have read countless posts about wire. It seems that if I use a 14-12awg at 65ft, I should be fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi, new here too, but I have own the SL3 for 9 years now.
I use the Aragon 8008BB 2 channel Amplifier with magnificent result. Like you, these were/are my first audiophile gear and for the past 9 years I have been very satisfied.

Last two years I moved to PC audio - using the MHDT Paradesia DAC and the sound is getting better everyday! My pream is also an Aragon (Aurum).

I hope I have shed some light.

Well I am excited about the possibilities. Do you know anything about the 1/4-20 ETC™ Spike for the SL3s and sold on the ML website??

Spikes and other mechanical filters

Gentlemen, welcome,

One of the first things I did with my Quest z's was to buy the spikes from ML that you mention.

Simply easier to adjust and secure to the speaker. Under the spikes you might want to consider carbon pads. Bass response is tighter and solid with these spikes.

My 5c worth

Fjeff

PS: I See Gordon has a very detailed note on SL3 mods including spikes and energy transfer pads....... http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...other-useless-information-for-all-ML-speakers

Last edited:
Gentlemen, welcome,

One of the first things I did with my Quest z's was to buy the spikes from ML that you mention.

Simply easier to adjust and secure to the speaker. Under the spikes you might want to consider carbon pads. Bass response is tighter and solid with these spikes.

My 5c worth

Fjeff

Carbon pads?

I have a plan, an audio plan

Carbon indeed,

Have a look around this website, Audioplan. They are a German company with a pragmatic approach to dealing with external influences on your gear. I have been to many of their workshops over the years and what I like the most is each additional change can be retracted, put back in, retracted again as you listen to your music to really determine if it makes the sonic improvement that you want. I usually use female vocals as my reference for sonic change when doing this.

If you cannot hear it, then don't do it, if you can, then buy more of the items.

Have a look here:

http://www.audioplan.de/00_english/...4_si/03e_si_transferdisc/03e_s_tdisc_all.html

Have fun!

Fjeff

Last edited:
I plan to bi-wire the SL3s and have read countless posts about wire. It seems that if I use a 14-12awg at 65ft, I should be fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Why 65 ft? That's a huge length of wire to drive.

Why 65 ft? That's a huge length of wire to drive.

If I place the Middle Atlantic rack in my office, my run will most likly be 65ft. At this point I plan to purchase two Middle Atlantic 19" racks for the gear and place one on each side of the fireplace.

Back