new cls2 panels and rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesinger

Reaction score
hi,

i just ran across a pair of cls2 for a reasonable price(sight unseen) and dont know the condition of the panels or transformers.

i would like to bring the speakers totally up to date. any idea on:

- what upgrades to do
- cost
- who to do it / where from ?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks,

mike

hi,

i just ran across a pair of cls2 for a reasonable price(sight unseen) and dont know the condition of the panels or transformers.

i would like to bring the speakers totally up to date. any idea on:

- what upgrades to do
- cost
- who to do it / where from ?

Get the serial numbers. Email Martin Logan. They will provide all the information you need.

ML has some of the best service in the business.

upgrade

I checked with ML when I bought my CLS they don't upgrade transformers. They do repairs however.

i got the speakers and they are in great shape. it turns out they are they IIa version (i got lucky).

will hook them up them when i have a chance...

btw, did any of these get internal kimber cable wiring ? (it looks like kimber)

How can I be sure?

:bowdown: How do I know if I nedd new panels? Many owners sell these rather than pay for new panels.
signifcant difference in sound pressure level between channels.
Weak sound from both speakers.
limited dynamic range.
try to listen to speakers with new panels.

The new panels are about $900.00. I did mine about 2 years ago and it was not that hard at all to do.

Jeff:cool:

How old were your panels when you replaced them and what difference did they make?

cyclone,
They were about 16years old. It was a subtle difference. The overall frequency was cleaner and maybe clearer but that is subjective. The only thing I did not do was wash them. If I had I may have gotten more time out of them. I vacuum them periodically and I live in a dry climate. Climate and the environment they are in have effects of how long they will last. I purchased my CLS from the original owner. He did not smoke but never vacuumed them so this may have been the cause of them changing over time.

I would say at least 10 years is the life expectancy but many of us have seen 15 to maybe 20 years with proper care.

I hope this helps

Jeff:cool:

hi,

i am having a hard time "decoding' the serial number... could someone firm if this is a 2clsII ?

thanks,

mike

Attachments

• IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 211
Back