New ARC Stuff

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....and a REF5 page yet?

Not yet. I imagine it'll be a couple of weeks, going by the delay between the Phono Ref 2's debut on ARCDB and its appearance ARC's web site. Good job too. I don't want to dehydrate myself by drooling too much! :) :drool:

.....and a REF5 page yet?

This much we do know: The tube compliment in the Ref 5 will be apparently identical to the tube compliment in the Ref 3. (Read the text in the Ref PH2 blurb.) The differences will probably be revealed soon.

Ref 5? What happened to the Ref 3, Mark II? The Ref 4? What is going on over at ARC? The Ref 3 was so good they had to go up two numbers to name its successor?

Ref 5? What happened to the Ref 3, Mark II? The Ref 4? What is going on over at ARC? The Ref 3 was so good they had to go up two numbers to name its successor?

I read somewhere that in some cultures "4" is not a lucky number. In order to court sales in those countries, they no longer use the number 4. Also, the SP4 from long ago (solid state, their first) was the company's nightmare because of poor reviews.

I see that ARCDB has now posted some pics of the new Reference 5. The outside looks very similar to the Ref 3. I think I prefer ye olde Audio Research tradition of using black handles with the natural aluminum front. IIRC, the new stuff can be ordered with black handles (which is how I'll order mine, if I'm ever fortunate enough to be in the position to buy one!).

Last edited:
I don't mind the silver handles at all - but I really don't like the VFD displays. LCD or OLED (green or orange monochrome of course) would be better and last longer.

Back