Networked Devices in your rack?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Modern audio systems are getting more and more wired, joining the network world more and more.

Eight years ago, I knew that soon there would be a need for several network connections at the A/V equipment Rack, so I thought I was being quite prescient when I installed four in-walls Cat5 Ethernet Jacks right next to the A/V rack.

And sure enough, over the years, I’ve been leveraging these. First one for the HomeTheater PC, but then slowly, items in the rack itself would need a connection, and we were able to accommodate with just a short patch cable to the wall jack.

Now, its welcome to 2008, and my rack currently holds eight, yes eight devices that need a network jack :eek:

So this is no longer enough.

Attachments

• RackNetworkJacks_sml.JPG
    RackNetworkJacks_sml.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 151
So what does a modern A/V system hold that needs so much connectivity:
  • Denon AVP-A1HD Preamp
    • Remote controllable via web
    • Network streaming audio player built-in
  • DVRs
    • DirecTV HR20-700 High Def DVR and media extender
    • Sony SAT-60 with TiVoWeb add-in.
  • Sony PS3 – Bluray / Game console/ Media extender
  • Toshiba A1 HD-DVD player
  • DBX DriveRack 4800 Speaker processor – Remote configuration via network
  • Global Cache GC-100 automation interface
  • Home Theater PC
And it would have been more, but the Denon integrates a bunch of stuff.

So what’s in your rack that needs connectivity?

Do you foresee needing more in the near future?

Some homes are pretty wired. I knew mine would be pretty extreme, so I put in an 8’ tall telco rackmount bolted to the floor of the equipment room to handle the patch panels, networking gear and UPS (got to keep it powered at all times).

Here’s a pic of my wiring area. It also shows the Satellite distribution system featuring a very cool Spaun powered multiplexer.
Even though I have the gigabit switch here, I still have three other switches in different areas of the house. My office has an 8-port gigabit switch, with every port filled :eek:

My TCP network has 15 reserved IP’s and more than 33 nodes in it.

The joke around the office is if the data center goes down, the backup site is my home :cool:

Attachments

• Xstatic Network_sml.jpg
    Xstatic Network_sml.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 148
Man you do have it down Jon . My system is so easy its foolish and the sad thing is the KPS25sc has all these digital capabilities to run the whole HT system too.

Good topic! I've been handcuffed because I have only ONE Cat5 connection in my listening room, but two networked devices (Squeezebox and Denon 3808CI). Right now, I just manually switch the Cat5 cable between them, as needed, but have been wondering if I can add a local switch of some kind, and at least be able to use one, or the other, without running into IP address conflicts. Any suggestions?

It's only the Squeezebox for me - and that is wireless.

The DVD player has a connection, but I don't use it.

Good topic! I've been handcuffed because I have only ONE Cat5 connection in my listening room, but two networked devices (Squeezebox and Denon 3808CI). Right now, I just manually switch the Cat5 cable between them, as needed, but have been wondering if I can add a local switch of some kind, and at least be able to use one, or the other, without running into IP address conflicts. Any suggestions?

Hi Alan, no problem, all you need is a simple 5 port workgroup switch stuffed behind the cabinet and letting you turn one connection into five.

For $20, you can get this Linksys: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005

No other configuration or setup required. Just plug and play.
Remember, you will need a couple more patch cables, just get them in as close a length as possible to reduce the clutter.

I actually though about adding a switch next to the rack, but the main network rack is less than 25’ away, so I go four 25’ Cat6 cables and just strung them over (they are the bundle of blue cables visible in the shot above).

And C.A.P., yes, I live in ComplexVille ;)

I'm impressed Jonathan! Even with all those network cables, it looks very well arranged, and very well organized.:)

Like amey01, I also only have one network connection going into my setup (Denon AVP). So mine's is pretty simple.;)

I'm impressed Jonathan! Even with all those network cables, it looks very well arranged, and very well organized.:)

Like amey01, I also only have one network connection going into my setup (Denon AVP). So mine's is pretty simple.;)

Thanks Seth, but it could be better. I just get to a point and say to myself 'it's in a closed off room, leave it alone' and go off to listen to some music. :D

My rack has only one - a pure Red Book network client/server (my own development). But the sound ..... We listen to the music only through it. Sort of a cross-breed between analog (so does it sound) and digital (no cracks etc).

Hi Alan, no problem, all you need is a simple 5 port workgroup switch stuffed behind the cabinet and letting you turn one connection into five.

For $20, you can get this Linksys: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005

No other configuration or setup required. Just plug and play.
Remember, you will need a couple more patch cables, just get them in as close a length as possible to reduce the clutter.

I actually though about adding a switch next to the rack, but the main network rack is less than 25’ away, so I go four 25’ Cat6 cables and just strung them over (they are the bundle of blue cables visible in the shot above).

And C.A.P., yes, I live in ComplexVille ;)

Good call... I have a few of those at my house too. They really were just plug and play. I was expecting to have to set up a bunch of stuff.

For my rack I have 6 devices running off the network and they run across the linksys wireless bridge to the 8 port work group switch without a hitch!

My somewhat simpler setup

Here's my somewhat simpler setup. First shot shows the fibre and other communications cable coming into the house, second is the Netgear wireless router and funnily enough, the dedicated Squeezebox server below. The listening room is right behind the right-hand wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0084 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0084 (600 x 450).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0085 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0085 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I don't have any and I'm doing just fine.

Don't want any either, although I do have DirectTV.

I also refuse to have a cell phone.

I respectfully pose this as a question, which I believe is somewhat related to this thread.

When is enough, enough?

GG

Last edited:
For those that might need to have a switch behind their rack, but want to do so over wireless, you could add a wireless bridge in front of it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124015

With this bridge + the Switch mentioned above, you could have up to five wired Ethernet cables behind your A/V rack, and no network cables visible.

Exact switch I use as well in my system Just use 2 ports though one for the Escient and one for the PS3.

Also use a switch downstairs for the computors throughout the house.

I don't have any and I'm doing just fine.

When is enough, enough?

GG

The answer to that question will be different for every person.

I have Vistas, you have Summits, so I reverse the question "When is enough enough?" - case in point. My point being - I don't think any of us can claim to be "simpletons"...

Last edited:
My office has an 8-port gigabit switch, with every port filled :eek:

Geez Louise, my office doesn't have 'gigatits' but I do have a nice little warming rack for my coffe cup. Besides I wouldn't know a 'gigabutt' from a 'who's-a-magigger'

I will say though I like your attention to neatness with the routing of your wires Johnathan !

Back