negatives effects in regards to placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all
What would be the biggest negative drawbacks if you place the theos , the panel about 70cm away from back wall.
i am seriously considering them but can t have them sticking out 1.5m in the room.the max is about 75cm away. is it a bit of a waste to have such a giod speaker and not have it away from back wall in order to get the best of them???
regards
john

Don't have the answer but ---- can you just pull them out farther when in use and slide them back when off?

Hi John - welcome to MLO!

For the most part, you're giving up image specificity when the panels are too close to the wall. The soundstage will seem somewhat out of focus. Other than that, it's very likely that you'll still love the sound more so than with other traditional type speakers (though certainly everyone has their preference). If there's any way you can get an in-home audition from a local dealer - then try them out with your placement constraints and see what you think.

Cheers

Last edited:
I would respectively offer a different perspective than my friend Todd regarding what maybe lost. In my experience, you will be compromising the "depth" (read three dimensionality) aspect of the musical presentation. It may also create pronounced mid / low bass room response anomalies that will ultimately impact clarity, transparency, perceived transient response and overall coherent tonal balance to the music.

GG

Last edited:
I would respectively offer a different perspective than my friend Todd regarding what maybe lost. In my experience, you will be compromising the "depth" (read three dimensionality) aspect of the musical presentation. It may also create pronounced mid / low bass room response anomalies that will ultimately impact clarity, transparency, perceived transient response and overall coherent tonal balance to the music.

GG

That's what I like about this forum... respectful, friendly posts! :)

I like PeterK's idea of having them movable so you can bring them out when listening to them and put them back for "storage." If you have carpet you can get a piece of heavy marble that you can put the speaker on, this will provide a solid footing but can easily be pushed back and forth on carpet. I use Vantages and I have them about 5 feet off the back wall. It really opens up the sound stage in my opinion.

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for all the replies and advice. Unfortunately m not really keen to keep moving them back and forth, I d prefer something permanent.
Seems like having them to close to the. Wall, I ll be loosing much of the magic of ML and spending that much cash on speakers and not getting full use of them seems a bit ridiculous no???
In the same token, I may be better off spending a little less and get the esl...what is the general consensus of the els vs the theos.

i have my summits pretty close to a side wall and about 2 feet from rear wall out of necessity [room is 17x13], the joy of ml is you can adjust the bass and some room treatment at the back . they sound absolutely awesome and incredibly real , i may be losing something but the image beautifully and fill the room with sound

Back