Need opinions on Source or Purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaN

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie here and never owned ML before. I'm thinking about "upgrading" from my Vienna Acoustics Webern on-walls to the new ML Source. Can I expect sound improvement with this setup? I'm using a Rotel 120w/channel 5-channel amp paired with Fosgate Audionics processor. Thanks much for your opinions.

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and never owned ML before. I'm thinking about "upgrading" from my Vienna Acoustics Webern on-walls to the new ML Source. Can I expect sound improvement with this setup? I'm using a Rotel 120w/channel 5-channel amp paired with Fosgate Audionics processor. Thanks much for your opinions.

Hi BaN,

Welcome to the CLUB.

I am in the same position as you as I have never owned ML either. As my funds don't run to a new pair of the larger M/L speakers I was thinking in terms of a second hand set of SL3's or similar, but today I found info on the Source and I am also wondering whether it would be better to get these new rather than an older pair of used M/Ls. It will be interesting to see what reponse you get from the experts.

I haven't heard the new Source or Purity (and they probably haven't even arrived in Australia yet)!

You'd have to listen and decide for yourself. As a general rule, an older pair would probably give you better overall sound quality, but the newer ones might have some aspects of the sound that you like. Only you can make that decision.

Also worth considering is the cost of panel replacement on an older pair if they will be requiring that.

I haven't heard the new Source or Purity (and they probably haven't even arrived in Australia yet)!

You'd have to listen and decide for yourself. As a general rule, an older pair would probably give you better overall sound quality, but the newer ones might have some aspects of the sound that you like. Only you can make that decision.

Also worth considering is the cost of panel replacement on an older pair if they will be requiring that.

My problem is that the nearest MartinLogan dealer is about 120 miles from where I live, and he said that he would not agree to a home demo.

We have both in the showroom now, and I honestly havent had much time to really listen. We have the Purity connected to a SONOS zoneplayer, and they sound ok, but I am sure whoever ripped the CDs to the server used MP3 or WMA or some other inferior lossy compression so it doesnt sound that great. I will try to get a better listen soon.

We have both in the showroom now, and I honestly havent had much time to really listen. We have the Purity connected to a SONOS zoneplayer, and they sound ok, but I am sure whoever ripped the CDs to the server used MP3 or WMA or some other inferior lossy compression so it doesnt sound that great. I will try to get a better listen soon.

Hi Audiophiliac,

Can I deduce from your post that you are in a Martin Logan dealership? It would be great if you could give us some feedback on these new speakers.
Do you get any M/Ls traded in on new ones as I am looking to buy my first set of SL3 or Aerius.
I think M/L have some sort of zone agreement with their distributors which stops me purchasing new from a US dealer which is a blow as the price in the US is about half of what it is here in the UK.

John

If you owned untill now "on wall" speakers, you could consider a pair of SCRPT-i ! Gorgeous speakers and you don't feel at all that they are "on wall".

Enough bass, not boomy, perfect balance! And the price is near SOURCE/PURITY!

What amplifier have you? Ore what intend to buy? Maybe Purity is a better solution , for the price difference you can't find an amplifier good enough to drive electrostatics ! Purity is a genius solution, no head-aches!

What amplifier have you? Ore what intend to buy? Maybe Purity is a better solution , for the price difference you can't find an amplifier good enough to drive electrostatics ! Purity is a genius solution, no head-aches!

As mentioned in my original post, I'm currently using a combo of Rotel 5-channel Amp and Fosgate Audionics Pre/Pro which I consider excellent. As a result, I plan to keep this and leaning more toward the Sources and use my Rotel to drive the speakers.

I would sugest you a pair of Purity, feeded direct from amplifier. I think it's superiour....:confused:

Yes the Purity is the better speaker, from my experience in our demo rooms it has slightly tighter bass response, and a more dynamic sound all the way through.

You have to take into account that the Purity uses a larger panel with clear-spar technology while the Source uses solid spar spacers on their panels. The paper cone on the woofer on the Source and the not-as-nice cabinet make the Purity a no brainer for me.

Latest posts

Back