need HT receiver suggestion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I'm going to add my theater back into my system. I've always done it so it doesn't compromise my 2 ch sound. I have a HT bypass on my pre. So, what receiver do you guys recommend that is decent? It will replace a B&K Ref 30 and B&K three channel amp. I use the 2ch amps for the main speakers. Again, good (b&k quality) but not crazy expensive.

Thanks-

If you are looking for an actual receiver and not a HT processor, I would recommend any of the top Denon receivers (3808 and above) for HT duties. Many HDMI options, Audyssey EQ, accepts HD sound from HD and Blue-ray, etc.

I've got a B&K AVR307 with factory upgrades to the 507 level that's just been sitting in the back room for over a year. (I replaced it with a Sunfire TGP-5/TGA-7400 combo when I upgraded from Ascents to Summits last year.) The basic specs for the unit after the upgrade can be found here. PM me if you're interested, and I'm sure we could come up with a mutually satisfactory arrangement.

Been there done that!

I had a B&K Ref 20 that could not decode my Panasonic BD 30 Blu Ray player bitstream. I bought the Denon 3808 and love it. It out performs the B&K in both 2 channel and even more so with multi channel because now I'm enjoying DTS-MA and Dolby Tru HD.:D

I am currently running a Marantz SR7001 with a B&K Reference 200.2 powering my mains. I really like Marantz. I have been dissapointed as of late with Denon's quality. I have owned a AVR-3806. I don't like the changes they made to the chassis (plastic looking) and there inabilty to turn on quickly.

You could always wait the eternal wait for the REF70 to debut.

I am using a Pioneer Elite 84 from a few years back, I found that its MCACC did a little better job (more accurate) as far as distance and level setting than the Audyssey , but that was a few years back so?

What about the NuForce pre/pro? It is really good and really cheap. No amplification though.

I am using a Pioneer Elite 84 from a few years back, I found that its MCACC did a little better job (more accurate) as far as distance and level setting than the Audyssey , but that was a few years back so?

A few years ago??? That was last years model! Pioneer is using the 94 model now which features HDMI 1.3 but lacks *DolbyMA (*- I think). Also look at Emotiva. I and others have some of their equipment and its damn good and not a bad price!
Nik

What about the NuForce pre/pro? It is really good and really cheap. No amplification though.

Looks interesting but I already have that (B&K Ref 30 & B&K 3 ch amp). I really want something intergrated for space. I can't even tell you the last movie I watched at home...Just want something "small" and that will be easier to make space for.

A few years ago??? That was last years model! Pioneer is using the 94 model now which features HDMI 1.3 but lacks *DolbyMA (*- I think). Also look at Emotiva. I and others have some of their equipment and its damn good and not a bad price!
Nik

Well I got mine 2 years ago that's a few years yes?

Yea- I guess so, time flies when you have Joey-itis! :)

Sry- forgot to mention that if you purchase Emotiva- you then qualify for 40% off their next pre/pro upgrade. If you had purchased their MMC-1 at $699- then the next model to come out would be $420 (assuming the original price is $699). Would be great if more companies would have this same customer appreciation. Their newest pre/pro is not due out till fall or winter this year- but is expected to be on hell of a processor. Emotiva has a forum on their web page and you can read about them there.
www.emotiva.com

Nik

+1 for a Denon AVR.

If the Denon AVR's are even 80% of the performance of the AVP processor, then it will make a very satisfying HT experience.

The only caveat with any AVR is the amps, but if keeping a B&K to power your mains, then you might be fine.

+1 for a Denon AVR.

If the Denon AVR's are even 80% of the performance of the AVP processor, then it will make a very satisfying HT experience.

The only caveat with any AVR is the amps, but if keeping a B&K to power your mains, then you might be fine.

not keeping any b&k. Going to use my Clayton mono blocks for the mains

Back