Need feedback on Vintage Preamps Phase linear 4000 S - Carver C4000T - Pioneer Spec 1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the Carver 4000T for many years and loved that pre-amp. Sonic Holography was quite impressive for thet day, and IIRC, it even had amps and outputs for some rear 'surround' speakers.

Compared to modern preamps, that Carver might be deemed 'noisy', and more so due to 20+ year-old caps in an un-restored unit.

Why are you looking for 'vintage'? Nostalgia?

I can sure understand the later, as I'd love to find one of the grand old Sansui Quad receivers from the seventies. My dad had one and I fell in love with it.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the response. Guess I like the old school warmth and liked the fact they had individual speaker controls. Please feel free to fire away with any suggestions, trust me I need the help!

If you want a tube sound, buy a vintage Sonic Frontiers SFL1. Had one for several years.

Very lush midrange with the typical anomalies at the top and bottom of the frequency range.

GG

One other brand which has good reputation and has that tube sweetness is conrad-johnson.

Back